350 steering clutches

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Monserandsons
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: 350 steering clutches

Post by Monserandsons » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:33 pm

On another note.... belt is in serious need of changing, now I know that if the quick disconnect moves it’s not bad but it’s not. So...my question is is the fork connected solid to the hand lever? I have 1/2” forward/reverse motion play in hand lever but fork is not responding. Any advice helps bring another one back. Thanks John

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Here is the parts catalog page. Looks like lever and fork should move together. There is a roll/spring pin through both holding them to the shaft.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... gId/200355

Monserandsons
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Monserandsons » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:35 pm

Thanks!! Yup.. looks like should be moving together. I doubt my free play is attributed to roll pin play throughout... oh well

Monserandsons
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Monserandsons » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:03 pm

I believe this is a question for the 350 experts... the hour meter has a ground and a purple wire coming out. It is broken 1’ away from meter. There’s a purple wire of the same gauge coming out of the main instrument cluster harness. Is this the wire I have to connect to power up the meter? Thanks John

Monserandsons
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Monserandsons » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:05 pm

Forgot to mention the purple wire coming out of the instrument cluster has a tag with numbers but it unlegible. Thanks John

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:49 am

An electric powered hourmeter requires a ground and a power source. You have the ground. and you may need to connect the purple wires together. Does the purple wire from the harness have power on it? If it has power all the time key on or not it is not correct. It may come on with the ignition switch or it may be wired through an oil pressure switch (which prevents it from logging time if the key is on but engine is not running). I'm not sure which way that one is wired, the wiring schematics in the service manual would give you the info. If you don't have a service/technical manual for your crawler you should get one. Send Lavoy an email (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) to purchase one, I think he has or can get them through his store. Include your serial number so he can be sure it is the right one, if there are choices.
Jim

Monserandsons
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Monserandsons » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:28 pm

Thanks Jim. A lot of times I’m just trying to connect with other people with similar interests. I have the manuals, actually I still have the manual to my dt125 from when I was 9( it was a dinasaur even then lol). Anyhow I’ve never been really electrically savy but after looking at my manuals I see that the purple wire goes into temp gauge first then oil pressure gauge. On another note after removing hardnose and disconnecting pump I have the whole “quick hydraulic disconnect rotating in its castings. Pina but getting there. Heat always wins lol. Thanks jim

Monserandsons
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Monserandsons » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:04 pm

So I got the shaft free and spinning and now (with a lot of shields and heat) I have the fork spinning on the shaft and am trying to figure out a way to hold the shaft and slide the fork. Difficult because the side opposite the handle is blind and I haven’t quite got the shaft out of the blind hole. I was thinking drill tap and install grease fitting. Not sure yet. Either way it’s a good thing I got into it because the reverser cooling line was rubbing on the hydraulic pump shaft, so would have been issue very soon. Currently it is routed over top of pump shaft so I’m thinking I’ll add or decrease Teflon tape to get the 90 degree fitting pointing down then the rubber line doesn’t have gravity against it. There seems to be a oil dilution problem and since it has an updraft carburetor I’m guessing the lift pump is to blame. Anyone experienced this before? Thanks John

Monserandsons
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Monserandsons » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:26 pm

He fellas, so I got the fork and shaft all out and after a lot of persuasion I was able to disassemble all the pieces to the hydraulic drive assembly. I was hoping someone could give the part number for the coupler that is directly in front of the pump? It holds the pump shaft and the shaft that the hydraulic disconnect bushing slides on. The whole thing was seized up except for the coupler to pump spot. I would like to decrease the slop starting with a new coupler. Thanks John

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:04 pm

Using the link I posted for you a few posts ago will take you to the catalog page with the breakdown of the pump drive. I think you are talking about item key # 19. I don't remember it you said this is a dozer or loader and depending on whether it is a dozer or loader the coupling is different for that item key #. And there is also the chance the pump, drive shaft and coupling might have been swapped over the years. Check the spline count against the descriptions to see which you have for certain. The part numbers are there and I can see a price of a bit less than $100.00 for either one, you might want to call Lavoy to see if he has any options on that part. HTH
Jim

Monserandsons
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Monserandsons » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:50 pm

Thanks, you really know these old toys like Lavoy, I’m putting a list together for him. Thanks John

Monserandsons
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Monserandsons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:05 pm

He fellas. Tomorrow I’m getting hoses made up and bringing in some tired reverser cooling hoses.. does anyone have a recommendation or exact size they use for the cooler lines? Also I’m eliminating the auxiliary hydraulic hoses since the machine has a winch and currently not planning on adding a tilt to the blade. Would you just use plugs? Or would you make a loop? Thanks John

Monserandsons
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Monserandsons » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:49 pm

I purchased return hose. Eaton weatherhead 24 bar (350 psi). 1/2” in diameter. It was the closest replacement I could find with nylon braiding like the original. The wall is slightly thinner but based on my research is an acceptable replacement for original. John

Monserandsons
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Monserandsons » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:01 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on the use of this braided return hose for use with the reverser cooler lines? Thanks John

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:05 am

That should work fine.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com