JD450C radiator hoses, where to find formed hoses

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
bolt37
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD450C radiator hoses, where to find formed hoses

Post by bolt37 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:56 pm

While I got the rad out for repairs I want to replace the hoses with new, and the oil cooler hoses too.
1. Where to get the formed hoses? I would rather not use universal ribbed hose as they put lots of sideways stress on the thin metal nipples on the tank itself, when bent.
2. For the oil cooler hoses, can I just use automotive heater hose? Thats what they look like, just hose and hose clamps...? Or are they a special type hose?

Thanks !!

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: JD450C radiator hoses, where to find formed hoses

Post by jsal » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:33 am

radiator hoses are reasonable right from the dealer and cooler lines need to be return oil lines not heater hose are not oil resistant

JIM

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:08 am

jsal is right. The dealer price for the radiator hoses is not out of line to get the correct molded hoses.

A 450C should have two oil coolers you should change hoses on while the radiator is out. The transmission oil cooler needs the hydraulic/oil rated hoses as jsal posted. Heater hose will fail if used with oil and not worth the risk for the price of the correct hoses. The parts book shows two different sizes were used, your dealer should have them and sell them by the inch or foot. If the dealer doesn't go to a hydraulic shop and talk with them. The second oil cooler you should have is the engine oil cooler which is mounted under the engine oil filter. Those lines carry engine coolant so heater hose is ok on those lines.

bolt37
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by bolt37 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:25 pm

Cookeville Radiator did both the radiator and the oil cooler tank, cleaned internally and externally, brazed up, pressurized both for $220!

I have used them many times for vintage radiators and they do great work.

Just look up Cookeville Radiator in Cookeville, Tenn and you will find them.

Also dis all new hoses, radiator bushings/rubber mounting points, rewelded the cracked brackets and stuff.

All works perfect now and rad runs the engine cool at exactly 180.

Thanks!

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Nice!!