350 B Backhoe Options

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
GunnyJeeves
MC crawler
MC crawler

350 B Backhoe Options

Post by GunnyJeeves » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi All,

I don't need a big backhoe, and the only ones I seem to be able to find fit the 450, but is there a reasonable way to mount a smaller backhoe onto the back?

If there are smaller options that are actually designed for it too, those would be good to know.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 350 B Backhoe Options

Post by Lavoy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:38 pm

Nothing factory, nothing direct fit, anything smaller would have to be adapted to fit.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:59 pm

I have a back god attachment that was originally installed on a Case/Astec 560 or larger chain trencher that was adapted to fit my 350 loader by JWB contracting who is a regular poster here. Digs about 8 feet deep, strong enough to push the loader around considerably lighter than the model 92 hoe I was originally using.It is a Case mod 762, you can find specs in Case trenching machine brochures. If you are handy with a welder I don't think it would be hard to adapt most of the hoes off skid steer loaders trenchers or 3 point hitch units to fit

GunnyJeeves
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GunnyJeeves » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:38 am

Thank you! I will look into it. (Not handy at all with a welder but I know several who are and happily would weld anything up for a few beers and maybe a steak...)

Gotta love the old southern attitude I think. (I work with computers by trade, but have also been known to help folks out in that area for a few beers or a steak.)

Helped an equipment business recover their website when an employee (now ex-employee) had transferred it to their name... You'd be surprised how all of that is somehow intertwined... Endless chain of some folks helping others and by extension, each other.

EDIT:
Looked it up... That thing is about perfect!!!

Agree too about the idea of using a skid steer backhoe. I'd just need a quick attach welded onto the back of the 350 and a spot to attach the remotes right? Attaching it is a mix of attaching the remotes first, then using the outriggers and hoe like a "3 legged spider" to mount itself to the "hook". (Only difference is that on a normal skid steer, you position the steer and attachment hook then lift the backhoe onto it... Well this might flip that to trying to position the backhoe above the attachment hook, then lowering it onto the hook.) I'm sure that seems sketchy, but probably is not that bad. Outriggers lift it off straight... you back back up, and outriggers let it back down. Maybe you could use some other controls to make minor adjustments to angle or height... but should normally be straight off, straight back on.

That hook is stable enough for a skid steer that might be 8000 pounds ore more... why not something similar? It's possible that other attachments might come in handy. (Trencher is one example that might do ok on a rear facing skid steer quick attach mount.)

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 pm

We’ve done a number of conversions with both various models of case and ditch witch hoes. The big case hoe is about the best you can get although I have a Vermeer hoe loose that is just slightly bigger. We did try the smaller and older ditch witch and case hoes, they worked but we ended cracking them up as we were using them commercially on the job site.

The factory hoe hooks tie into the loader or dozer frame and you could run into structural (frame or transmission) problems. These can be built, possibly someone would let you come measure their machine so you can have them built. We build the receiving end that gets welded to the hoe out of boxed tubing split and get some bushing material and pins to match.

If you are adapting your own hoe make sure to mount as low as possible, bottom of hoe should be flush with the tractors stump pan.

A 9550 or the predessor single swing cylinder model of Deere hoe work well on 350’s. We got a single swing Deere in which works real nice.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors