350B reverser removal from rear

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
EHood
40C crawler
40C crawler

350B reverser removal from rear

Post by EHood » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:16 am

I am New to the forum and have been operating my 1972 350B for several years. My current project started with needing steering clutches mostly from sitting. I decided as long as I had the machine this far down I would remove and replace the reverser clutches as well as the crawler seemed to slip while all pressures in reverser are to spec. Just seems to be too much work not to check those while down this far. I am currently down to the reverser again from the rear, and after long hours of searching for what I believe are all bolts holding it in. 2 Top housing bolts, 2 bottom bolts from engine side, and 3 side bolts one on left side to frame and one on right side to frame. The reverser is separating from the engine which I planned to leave in but does not seem to be separating from the side frame mounts. As I'm sure you guys are aware the procedure in the Deere manual such as remove bolts, doesn't seem adequate. Again I believe I am there, but would be glad to have some advice as the reverser is not moving from side. I also am a bit concerned as to what is actually holding the engine in as I cannot see where it is bolted to side frames? Book again is no real help and I have searched the parts cat. to see if it showed where it mounted. I have the engine supported and the front of the loader supported. I am about to make a puller to help me pull the reverser back away from side frames. Other items I have encountered were the transmission had to be seriously chiseled from the rear of the reverser, you guys are probably familiar with these machined surfaces? Also the 2 bottom bolts I believe holding the transmission to the reverser were missing. I hear this is not an uncommon thing. I don't see any real damage as the cases were stuck together with no separation before chiseling. Again when looking through the repair manual and the parts manual they reference the top studs but not the bottom bolts. I am planning on putting bolts back in the of course when I reinstall. Any thoughts would be appreciated

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B reverser removal from rear

Post by LeonardL » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:19 am

Okay!! I can't believe I'm doing this as I haven't posted here in a very long, long time! I also can't believe someone else hasn't stopped you before now! However I hope I can stop you before you have a real disaster! I'm not sure what or where your manual came from but a good "Deere" manual should have clearly stated that what you're attempting is wrong.

Your engine is only supported by the four bolts connecting it to the reverser housing. Nothing else!! No other attachments are made for the engine. So if you do manage to get the reverser to separate it is going to let your engine fall free. You need to get the engine out first and then the reverser.

Also if I were going to make a wild guess, I would say the reason you had to chisel the transmission apart is because of the binding that was occurring from the engine still being attached to the reverser. The 350 is basically an ag tractor that was set inside a frame. The engine, reverser and transmission are all tied together to become one combined unit. Each depends on the other for support.

If you had searched the archives a bit there are countless posts of the procedure for doing just about every repair you will encounter on a 350. Or any other Deere crawler for that matter. The procedure you need has been mentioned at least twenty times.
The correct procedure is the engine comes out first, then the reverser with both of those coming out forward and then the transmission comes out the back. I have more than fifty years of experience on these 350's. Believe me if there is a shortcut I would know about it.

You can pull the reverser out the back if the engine is taken out from the front and the transmission has been removed from the back. However both have to be removed first.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:34 am

I have had my 350 apart from both ends left engine in it is supported in the front with the radiator and pump mount and with support from below and took finals off and transmission and reverser out the rear and removed radiator engine and reserver out the front it can be done either way !!!!

JIM

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:45 am

Hi,

The earlier machines were Ag tractor designs converted into crawlers. Those have zero support for the front of the engine. You think of those as being attsched to the u/c at the trans. Everything in front of the trans comes off from the front back. Everything behind comes off to the trans.

The 350 and 450 were complete redesigns in 1965, and they were crawlers. Only engines were shared with tractors. But, it works out better if one follows the same rules as before: the trans is the center piece. If you want to get at the reverser, start removing things from the front.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:00 am

It's much easier to remove the reverser out the front, assuming you are starting with a complete machine.
That's the way it is designed to come out.
As others have said, the engine has no mounts of it's own, it hangs on the front of the reverser, so there would be nothing supporting it and the radiator once the reverser is removed.
In reference to those reverser bolts, a little blue loc-tite never hurts, and a slugging wrench is also handy.
You seem to want to be preventative in your repairs so pulling the engine would seem logical, as you are bound to find other issues inside a 50 year old machine.