1965 jd350 value

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
BGM670
MC crawler
MC crawler

1965 jd350 value

Post by BGM670 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 am

I am currently looking at a 1965 straight 350 crawler with a manual blade. Three cyl. Diesel, rops,reverser with manual rear reverse as well. Nice shape, no leaks, runs good, undercarriage was redone (rollers, sprockets, rails) all about 75%). Reverser slips a little when warmed up though. Wiggling the lever seems to help. It does not slip with the reverser in the fwd position and transmission in reverse. Could it possibly be a linkage or valve issue? Will it do any damage to just leave it and shift in manually in reverse when needed. What's a good ball park price on this?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1965 jd350 value

Post by Lavoy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:24 am

Just assume you are going to be doing a reverser, if it slips now, it will slip later, and has been slipping before. Unless you plan on finding the problem and fixing it, I wouldn't buy it. With a slipping reverser and a manual blade, to me $3500 or so.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 am

If you know reverser is slipping, present owner probably knows also, and when ever you have clutch’s slipping, damage is being done. You my be able to adjust linkage or increase clutch pressure( if they are hyd) but not to far down the road you will be repairing slipping problem/result.
Which means I would be finding out how much that repair is going to cost, then the purchase price( without seeing it) is approx 5-7000, minus how much repair is going to be, plus how bad you want it. This is way out in the ball park remember, and just my thoughts. 8) 8) LOL.

Welcome to the site. Where are you located?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:31 am

Area can affect price some. I am seeing prices around here for machines like that in line with Lavoy's post. A bit more if there are supposed to be no problems like you are describing with the reverser.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:40 am

I sold a '72 similar to yours for $5900. Chains were shot, but all else was good. So with reworked chains it would've been worth $7900 in my area/situation.

Those silly reversers are always the thing that gets you.

BGM670
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by BGM670 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:24 am

gaspumpsam wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 am
If you know reverser is slipping, present owner probably knows also, and when ever you have clutch’s slipping, damage is being done. You my be able to adjust linkage or increase clutch pressure( if they are hyd) but not to far down the road you will be repairing slipping problem/result.
Which means I would be finding out how much that repair is going to cost, then the purchase price( without seeing it) is approx 5-7000, minus how much repair is going to be, plus how bad you want it. This is way out in the ball park remember, and just my thoughts. 8) 8) LOL.

Welcome to the site. Where are you located?
Thanks, located in Northern MN. Is the reverser clutches/mechanism bypassed when the lever is in the fwd position and the gear shift in reverse?

BGM670
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by BGM670 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:35 pm

Lavoy wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:24 am
Just assume you are going to be doing a reverser, if it slips now, it will slip later, and has been slipping before. Unless you plan on finding the problem and fixing it, I wouldn't buy it. With a slipping reverser and a manual blade, to me $3500 or so.
Lavoy
Ok, thanks. Is the reverser clutches/mechanism bypassed when the reverser is in the fwd position and the transmision in reverse?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:51 pm

The reverser is not bypassed. It has forward and reverse clutches in it. One or the other set of clutches has to be engaged to drive the transmission. When the forward clutch is engaged the reverse clutch is released. Things still turn, they are not separate units. My thought is if the reverse clutch is slipping it is likely the forward one may slip soon. It may be already, but not as noticeable as the reverse clutch. Sure it will likely run a while using reverse gear in the transmission, how long is anyone's guess. If you had to overhaul the reverser would you undertake the project yourself (you pull the engine to get to the reverser) or would you have to have a shop do it? Something to consider, along with what you might buy it for. JMHO

Jim

BGM670
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by BGM670 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:21 pm

Jim B wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:51 pm
The reverser is not bypassed. It has forward and reverse clutches in it. One or the other set of clutches has to be engaged to drive the transmission. When the forward clutch is engaged the reverse clutch is released. Things still turn, they are not separate units. My thought is if the reverse clutch is slipping it is likely the forward one may slip soon. It may be already, but not as noticeable as the reverse clutch. Sure it will likely run a while using reverse gear in the transmission, how long is anyone's guess. If you had to overhaul the reverser would you undertake the project yourself (you pull the engine to get to the reverser) or would you have to have a shop do it? Something to consider, along with what you might buy it for. JMHO

Jim
Thanks

BGM670
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by BGM670 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:04 pm

BGM670 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:21 pm
Jim B wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:51 pm

Jim
Thanks
If the price is right, I will do it myself. Seems like from what I researched, the 350's had lots of issues...Thinking the 450 is the way to go... Thanks again.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:11 pm

No more issues on a 350 than 450, just different ones, and no way to tell how much of what you read is operator induced. If you want it and think the price is fair, buy it, fix it up and enjoy it.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:20 am

Hi,

The 350 reverser has two clutch packs, they make-up with hydraulic pressure from a pump at the reverser input shaft. The power in forward passes thru a clutch pack at the front end of the reverser, thru the center, and out the rear to the trans. The power in reverse passes thru a shaft alongside the reverser case thru a clutch pack at the rear.

The control lever has a neutral position, and no oil sent to either clutch pack. In forward, oil is sent to the forward clutch pack. In reverse, oil is sent to the reverse clutch pack. You have a reverse gear in the trans when the machine is equipped with either a PTO drive or a winch drive. When using either PTO or winch, you must leave the reverser in forward or else the power shafts will wind up spinning the wrong way when in use. In that case, you back up using the trans R and not the reverser.

You can back up with trans R and the reverser in forward all you want. Second and Reverse in the trans are synchronized so they slide in and out easily (no grinding like the earlier crawlers had). Some 350s were made without a reverser, so the 2 and R in the trans were designed with this in mind. Oh, and it is not a good idea to go forward with both the reverser and trans in R, though.

The hydraulic system in the reverser has an oil filter. First thing, is drain the oil and change that filter. Usually, no one ever does. It may well be original from the 1960s! There is enough extra load on the reverse clutch pack where it could be slipping from low oil pressure from a clogged up filter. Certainly worth trying before disassembling the machine from the front until you get the reverser out. Get a service manual and check pressures while you are at it.

As to price, I paid $13k for a 78 350C with outside mount manual blade with good everything a couple years ago. That is still a good target price. Subtract off for everything that isn't good, of course. And, a C or a D is worth a few thousand more than a Straight or a B. As far as area goes, my area here in NC was useless for finding a 350 that wasn't $10k for a pile of scrap metal. I had to get mine from VT and then pay to have it hauled 1000 miles. But, I got a good one. And, paid accordingly for it. Oh, and read my tag line. It tells the whole story! ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:11 am

How do they get oil to ea clutch after the control valve. Is it piston ring type seals at ea end of the shaft?

BGM670
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by BGM670 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:55 am

Stan Disbrow wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:20 am
Hi,

The 350 reverser has two clutch packs, they make-up with hydraulic pressure from a pump at the reverser input shaft. The power in forward passes thru a clutch pack at the front end of the reverser, thru the center, and out the rear to the trans. The power in reverse passes thru a shaft alongside the reverser case thru a clutch pack at the rear.

The control lever has a neutral position, and no oil sent to either clutch pack. In forward, oil is sent to the forward clutch pack. In reverse, oil is sent to the reverse clutch pack. You have a reverse gear in the trans when the machine is equipped with either a PTO drive or a winch drive. When using either PTO or winch, you must leave the reverser in forward or else the power shafts will wind up spinning the wrong way when in use. In that case, you back up using the trans R and not the reverser.

You can back up with trans R and the reverser in forward all you want. Second and Reverse in the trans are synchronized so they slide in and out easily (no grinding like the earlier crawlers had). Some 350s were made without a reverser, so the 2 and R in the trans were designed with this in mind. Oh, and it is not a good idea to go forward with both the reverser and trans in R, though.

The hydraulic system in the reverser has an oil filter. First thing, is drain the oil and change that filter. Usually, no one ever does. It may well be original from the 1960s! There is enough extra load on the reverse clutch pack where it could be slipping from low oil pressure from a clogged up filter. Certainly worth trying before disassembling the machine from the front until you get the reverser out. Get a service manual and check pressures while you are at it.

As to price, I paid $13k for a 78 350C with outside mount manual blade with good everything a couple years ago. That is still a good target price. Subtract off for everything that isn't good, of course. And, a C or a D is worth a few thousand more than a Straight or a B. As far as area goes, my area here in NC was useless for finding a 350 that wasn't $10k for a pile of scrap metal. I had to get mine from VT and then pay to have it hauled 1000 miles. But, I got a good one. And, paid accordingly for it. Oh, and read my tag line. It tells the whole story! ;)

Stan
Thanks Stan. I guess the issue he was having when hot was he had to fiddle with the reverser to go in. It does not slip at all. I could not verify concern due to the the cool temps here. It does shift good and firm though, no slippage ,with no noises in any gear. It's in really nice shape.Santa delivered it yesterday morning to my shop. When I get time I will look over the linkage etc., and change fluids and filters. I am in the process of looking for a manual. Where is the reverser filter located?

BGM670
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by BGM670 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:36 pm

Lavoy wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:11 pm
No more issues on a 350 than 450, just different ones, and no way to tell how much of what you read is operator induced. If you want it and think the price is fair, buy it, fix it up and enjoy it.
Lavoy
thanks