john deere 455e reverser operation

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
njoldiron
40C crawler
40C crawler

john deere 455e reverser operation

Post by njoldiron » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:50 am

Hello all, I was looking at buying a 455e track loader and had a question on operation. If I buy the machine I will get the owners manual and read up on proper operation but before I do that. I know it has a clutch which from what I have read is for changing gears 1-4. I know you can shift hi-lo- to rev without needing the clutch. My question is, when you are at a dead stop do you need to use the clutch to start the machine, put it in lo, first gear, and then release the clutch or can you just simply move the directioner into forward and start the machine moving. Thanks

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: john deere 455e reverser operation

Post by Jim B » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:59 am

The mechanical transmission (1-4) has to be in a gear, not neutral, if you are going to start moving without the clutch.. If the mechanical transmission is in a gear you can start the machine in neutral of the H-L-R then move the H-L-R lever to low, high, or reverse without the use of the clutch to start moving.

A word of caution is that slop in the HLR linkage can allow starting in gear if it is significant or out of adjustment. Always best to be in the seat, at the controls, when starting the engine.

njoldiron
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: john deere 455e reverser operation

Post by njoldiron » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Thanks, this machine will start in gear. I was thinking it might be a neutral safety switch that is bad. If I buy the machine I will have to check out the linkage.