How do I drain the fuel sump with backhoe still on?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
nicoz
40C crawler
40C crawler

How do I drain the fuel sump with backhoe still on?

Post by nicoz » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:42 am

My 81 JD450C has the backhoe on it and I can't get to the sump drain at the bottom of the tank. There is no way to reach the drain cock by hand. Not enough space anywhere around it. Is there any trick to getting easy access?
Current Machine: 1981 John Deere 450C w/ 9300 Backhoe

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: How do I drain the fuel sump with backhoe still on?

Post by 77 Ford » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:21 am

Sorry I can't really be of any help as I don't own a hoe. But I will say, my sump is rusted shut, I've not opened in the 7 or 8 years I've owned it. I just change the filter every year and make sure I use clean fuel. So far so good, if I ever have to pull the tank I'll fix the issue.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

nicoz
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by nicoz » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:25 pm

That's what I've been doing as well however my filter is no longer filling up. There must be a blockage somewhere.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:32 am

There is a filter screen (item key # 7 in the attached link) inside the tank fitted into the outlet the fuel shut off valve is in that might have plugged. You will need to drain the tank to service it. You may need a fuel transfer pump and do that through the fill opening, if you can't find another way to drain it. You might be able to reach the sump with the right pick up tube or hose on the pump, I'm not sure on that. While there you should be sure the vent tube that runs from the filler neck out through the bottom of the tank is open, run a wire down through it.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... gId/147942

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:14 am

Have you thought about blowing compressed air back thru fuel line see if you can dislodge what ever is one the screen?
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:43 am

Before you try anything... you said your filter is no longer filling up? My first question is what is your fuel transfer pump doing? Is it trying to pump fuel when you move the lever? The reason I ask is, if your engine has stopped in a position where the transfer pump lever is located at the top of the cam lobe, then it will not allow you to manually pump any fuel. Thus your filter will not fill up. If it is in this position, the manual lever will feel free, like it is loose and has no resistance against it. If it is like this, then roll the engine over a little to allow the cam to rotate to the bottom where it should be for the manual pump lever to function and pump fuel. You may need to do the other things as suggested as well but I thought I would mention this before you go to a lot of trouble.

To answer your original question... The tank sump drain should be located under the seat platform. Although it may have been changed sometime over the years. Originally there should be a Pit valve and a drain tube leading to the outer side of the machine.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

nicoz
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by nicoz » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:57 pm

Sorry for my tardy reply. The weather here has been awful and now it's warmed up enough to try some stuff. Turns out there was a bunch of algae or other shit in the tank. The screen for the outlet was plugged up. Couldn't get that dang screen out but ended up blowing air through and cleaning her out. Runs better than ever. Thanks all for the replies.