JD450 steering clutch, shaft removal

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Micahb02
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD450 steering clutch, shaft removal

Post by Micahb02 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:16 pm

New to the crawler world, have a 1980 JD450 loader. Currently I am attempting to remove the steering clutch assembly and am having a horrible time removing the shaft. I have the tracks apart, sprocket off, but the shaft will only come out maybe 1/2 inch. I removed the set screw, and still nothing. I have been combing through old post on this, but cant seem to find the magic answer. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD450 steering clutch, shaft removal

Post by Jim B » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:53 am

Welcome to the Board.

We need to get the right ID of your machine, the suffix letter for the series makes a difference in somethings and may or may not here, but being sure of the series 450 you have is best. The last of the straight JD450s were built in 1970. In 1980 they were building the 450C. There are differences in them. The 450s had dry steering clutches and the 450C had wet steering clutches. What do you have? What is your serial number? Do you have a Service/Technical manual and if so what is the publication number?

Micahb02
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Micahb02 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:49 am

Let me get the info on the machine, suppose to be a 80s model straight 450, but after looking at the thread on serial numbers, its got me thinking its not. Ill get the info here in a little bit once I get home. Again, I'm green to the 450 crawler scene, I'm trying to learn as much as I can on it now that I have one. thanks for the reply

Micahb02
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Micahb02 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:33 am

Jim B wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:53 am
Welcome to the Board.

We need to get the right ID of your machine, the suffix letter for the series makes a difference in somethings and may or may not here, but being sure of the series 450 you have is best. The last of the straight JD450s were built in 1970. In 1980 they were building the 450C. There are differences in them. The 450s had dry steering clutches and the 450C had wet steering clutches. What do you have? What is your serial number? Do you have a Service/Technical manual and if so what is the publication number?
OK, so the SN on the kick plate under the seat is "5E3M015641T" the service manual is SM-2064 (May-87). As far as the clutches, they are dry.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:05 pm

Sorry but that serial number is not for a 1980 machine. The straight 450 serial number format matches the ID string you posted, the 450Bs and after were formatted differently. The tag for a 1980 (450C) would be on the front of the battery box, they were moved to that location mid way through the 450B production run. Here is your machine serial number breakdown using the 450 Introduction from the JD parts Catalog:

This should be everything on a 450 tag:
SN = serial number
T = Tractor (There should be a T in front of the info you posted)
5 = JD450
E = Crawler Loader
3 = Diesel (This would be 202 cu.in. originally)
M = Transmission (Hi-Lo-Reverse)

Serial number: 015641 (This number falls in the 1965 (s/n 010001 to 016159) build range using the serial number list on this site’s FAQ board)

T= (Build location) John Deere Dubuque Works

This serial number is a 1965 straight 450 crawler loader with a diesel engine and HLR transmission arrangement. Dry steering clutches would be correct for a straight 450.

The manual SM-2064 is correct for a straight 450. May-87 would be the printing date of your manual, unrelated to the vintage of the machine.

First thoughts are rust or wear in the splines is causing the shaft to pull hard. Others will have more thoughts for you. Having the right identification will be needed to be sure you get the right parts. I recommend you contact Lavoy (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) when you find out what you need. He works on JD crawlers as well as selling the parts for them, so he knows what the quality parts are, he doesn't like to do rework.

Micahb02
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Micahb02 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks Jim for the information, after I started reading the serial number threads and after what you said about the serial number, it got me wondering. I will keep working on freeing the shaft, after removing the set screw, i wasn't sure if there was something else holding or not. This side of the loader is the worst compared to the other, at some point or over time water got in the clutch housing and looked like mud or a lot of building in there. Wish I could show pictures, it didn't look good at all. Again thanks for the information

Micahb02
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Micahb02 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:21 pm

Update: Finally got all the shafts and clutch assemblies out, used a slide hammer and a lot of cussing but everything is finally out.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:56 pm

As for posting photos there is a dedicated picture server set up for this site, when you are signed in you can read about it on the Messageboard Q&A down at the bottom of the index page. You have to contact Lavoy and set up a username and password (Last I knew you can use the same ones as for this site.) Once you have access you can start your own folder and upload your photos to your folder. Then you do a copy and link them to your post over here. They shouldn't disappear from posts or get blurred in the future, as can happen with photos uploaded from some third party photo servers.

Micahb02
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Micahb02 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:26 am

Just a quick update, I have replaced both clutch assemblies, hope to have it fully completed and put back together this weekend. The installation was a lot easier than removal for sure, once I had everything removed, I sandblasted everything and cleaned all the parts. We shall see if the weather will work with me. Once the clutch job is completed, i will move on the to controls for the loader. Evidently the previous owner was an eager welder and decided to weld up the loader/bucket controls, so instead of the main control lever controlling the up/down and bucket, he welded it up so it only raised and lowered and used the aux control to control the bucket. Not sure as to why but I have been looking everywhere for another control but nothing is turning up. Might have to try and fab something up if I cant find a used one i guess.