Engine will not turn over

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
crussell
MC crawler
MC crawler

Engine will not turn over

Post by crussell » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:41 pm

Looking for anyone who may can help... I recently purchased a JD 450C and it would run for about 5 minute and shut off. I suspected it was a fuel problem, starting with the fuel tank I cleaned out all the fuel lines. Again it would run for a min or so then shut off. While we were trying to get the machine to run, we increased the throttle and heard a strange sound. Not sure what the noise was at the time? we were unable to get the engine to turn over, and suspecting an issue with the starter, I replaced starter and put a new battery in and again engine would not turn over. At this point unsure if the engine was locked up we attempted to turn the crank and with a pipe wrench and were able to turn it using a cheater bar (very hard to turn at first) and became easier as we turned it. again attempted to start, the starter engages and the engine fails to turn over? Looking for any suggestions and or thoughts. Obviously need to figure out why the engine won't turn over before troubleshooting fuel problem. Thanks in advance for any help

Crussell

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Engine will not turn over

Post by gregjo1948 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:44 am

Sounds like you spun a bearing. Before trying to get it running, you might want to drop the oil pan and take a look. If a bearing is at fault, you could cost yourself a lot more money by running it.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:39 pm

It's a bit of work, cramped and most likely greasy. But I agree, take a look now verses later. Every time I see someone in a vehicle driving down the shoulder slow with their hazards on, I look at my wife and say.... Look they are spending a lot more money.
I had to remove the front radiator surround bolts just to remove the oil pan, which made a ton more work. The oilpan was 3/4 of an inch from being free to be removed. You might try removing all but one bolt per side and tilting it backward to make clearance down there. Maybe yours will not need that. In my case I needed a new engine. So everything forward of the firewall bulkhead came out. Cracked block and multiple blown head gaskets. Good luck and hope it is a simple fix.
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Might have water in the cylinders. You can loosen the fuel lines at the injectors to see. You could also pop an injector out to get a faster result...high pressure, so be careful. If water is in the cylinder it will get pushed out.

I had this issue a few yrs ago. Engine would barely turn over and would not start. If water gets into the air intake it gets sucked into the cylinders and causes it to pressure lock.

My thoughts
Jason

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:43 pm

your fuel problem is most likely the injection pump had same trouble on my 450C there is a plastic ring that falls apart to check it out remove timing window and see if it is clean or full of gunk

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:34 am

read up n pelletane gaskets and mouse turds as discussed very thoroughly in this forum.