JD350 losing power after running 10min

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
AlexM
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD350 losing power after running 10min

Post by AlexM » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:03 am

I’ve got a JD350 that is losing power & stalling out after running for about 10 min. Runs good when 1st started. When it starts bogging out the exhaust starts smoking more. I let it sit for 10-15 mins & it starts again with good power but then shuts down again after 5-10 minutes.
Straight JD350. Recently replaced fuel filters, lift pump, injection pump, injectors.
Any ideas what might cause this?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD350 losing power after running 10min

Post by Jim B » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:41 am

The more details you provide about the history can be helpful. Were these some of the same symptoms that lead you to do those things? Did you do all those things at the same time? Did you put new filters on when you put the injection pump back on? What brand fuel filters did you install? Did it run right for a reasonable time after you did that work or did the problem develop since you did those things?

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:50 am

Happy New Year! Gas or diesel?
I would try removing fuel tank cap, then running and see if it makes a difference, if not, check fuel shut off tap is fully open,
If still no change, remove fuel line from tank, at or near filters, remove fuel tank cap, and blow air towards tank, with shop air,
but gently. Check fuel line for bend or kink. Only do one thing at a time, so you know which one cures problem.
I have even taken a small 2 gallon ( or so) can and make a satellite fuel tank. With hose and fittings, put into fuel line, before filters , and try it. That will tell you which side of filters problem is.
Good luck! Let us know if you find problem.

AlexM
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by AlexM » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:06 am

The filters, injectors, injection pump were all done after the injection pump failed and was replaced. Was running fine after injection pump replaced.
I’m probably going to replace the filters again and drain/clean tank. I’ll check the lines & I read something here about some screens to check but not really clear on where screens would be located.
If anyone has any other suggestions response s are appreciated!
I’ll post anything else I find & update.
Thanks!
Alex

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:27 am

Does the fuel tank have a vent like the 450’s. Have you tried running it with the fuel cap off?

Gaspumpsam has beat me to it, but we are on the same line

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:42 am

The straight 350s, and 350Bs prior to serial number 142200, did not have the screen in the fuel tank, so you don't have one according to the parts catalog. Just as an FYI, to get to those screens one has to remove the fuel shutoff valve in the bottom of the fuel tank, the screen is small enough to install through the valve opening.

I searched some of your old posts and it sounds like the fuel system was pretty well gunk'd up, so it will be worth while to clean the tank and change the filters for the cost. The shut off valve might be partially plugged as well. If your fuel has algae in it you may need to run some biocide for a while as well as cleaning the tank. Look for the filters plugged with black gunk.

Some, at least 450s as B Town mentioned; I'm not sure on a straight 350, had a vent tube that runs from the ring in the filler neck, near the fuel dipstick, down and out the bottom of the tank. If yours has one you may want to run a wire down through it then blow it down, to be sure it is open, especially if leaving the cap off makes a difference.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Definately fuel starved...when it stalls crack the vent on one of the fuel filters and listen for air. Also I had a small stick "tooth pick size" stuck in my fuel valve just below the tank...gaspumpsam is all over it...just start at one end and go from there you'll find it.

AlexM
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by AlexM » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:10 pm

Ok here’s what I found. Pulled the plug on bottom of tank drained some fuel & had a bit of debris/rust flakes but not to bad. Drained some more a second time and looked clean.
Checked the shut off valve & seemed ok. Was opened all the way.
Next I opened the air purge screws on top of filter housing & using a little bottle of fuel found they weren’t full. Filled filters & purged air. Next I checked the fuel line to the fuel pump from tank. The fittings at fuel pump seemed loose so tightened. Started up & seemed to keep running with no issues. Didn’t have time to really run/work but I think that was the simple fix. Was probably sucking air at the fuel pump fittings.
Thanks guys for the help & tips!!