low engine oil pressure

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jd450b yellow
MC crawler
MC crawler

low engine oil pressure

Post by jd450b yellow » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:38 pm

thought I would move my 450b today while the weather is nice, to exercise the clutch and brakes. oil pressure when parked was 40 psi cold and 35 psi hot. no low or high oil pressure. this does have a turbo on it. on start today pressure came up real slow and only came up to about 25psi and falls to 10 at idle. this is with a mechanical gauge. tried a second gauge with same result. pulled the fitting out of block in turbo oil hose where the gauge is mounted and started engine, oil shot in air as high as the ROPS but in pulses not a steady stream. engine oil full and I installed a new oil filter. I pulled the oil pressure relief valve and the spring looked ok, it was not broken and the poppet looked ok. tried to add a shim but could not get it to go back together. put it back like it was with no shims.my hand did not have enough strength in the limited space to push in and turn it. thinking of plugging turbo supply line momentarily to see if to much oil is passing through turbo. I read that the cause may be the balancer shaft in the engine. thinking a loose bearing or bushing I might see 40 psi oil pressure cold and fall to 10 hot. puzzling problem happened after sitting in barn. would try a new spring in the relief valve if I could find one. any information will be appreciated!

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: low engine oil pressure

Post by gaspumpsam » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:46 pm

Did you change oil or just the filter? Possible fuel leaked into base and thinned oil?

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:53 am

Check the coolant level to see if it has gone down. If it has gotten into the engine oil, that might explain the pulsating squirt. Anti freeze doesn't mix with oil and is thin enough to lessen the pressure. It also doesn't lubricate and can cause bearings to spin.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

jd450b yellow
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jd450b yellow » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:04 pm

raised the front of the 450 yesterday and removed the front skid plate. left it overnight and this evening thought I would start it and when I did the oil pressure came up to over 30 at idle and near 40 at 2000rpm. let run for a half an hour and the oil pressure held. the coolant temp did come up but not working dozed hot. had this dozed for awhile and these numbers are the way it has always been. the coolant was full and oil full. don't know how this happened unless there is sludge or something in the oil pan and raising the front let the stuff out of the way of the pick up screen. think I'll pull pan and look. thanks for the input. hope the symptom stays gone.