350 B steering clutch

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

350 B steering clutch

Post by Jason37756 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:52 pm

I know they're a bunch of steering clutch post and I've rebuilt several myself, but wanted to get some input.

1974 350 BE
SN 196047T

The right side steers perfect. Clutch disengages and brake locks seamlessly.

The left side had to be adjusted because it was absolutely non responsive when the stick was pulled. After doing the adjustment I was able to get the brake to engage, but the entire dozer stops when I fully engage the brake. The rpm's rise slightly when the brake is applied then drop back to normal.

So here's my question. Could I be overcoming the reververs ability to drive the tracks when I pull the left stick?

My thoughts are the left final drive clutches are seized together and when I engage the brake the reverser cannot overcome it. When I attempt to disengage both clutches, on a hill, the dozer still tracks forward. The right must disengage properly because as I engage the brake it steers properly to the right. So the left final is driving the entire dozer while the right final is along for the ride. I should sink the blade in the ground and attempt to disengage the clutches on both sides to further test them.

The previous owner rebuilt both finals, but did not replace the worn brake band on the left side. However did replace the band on the right side.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 350 B steering clutch

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:34 pm

Normally that would mean your right clutch is slipping.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:38 pm

That's makes sense, but what about disengageing the clutches on a hill and letting it roll backwards?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:40 pm

Not sure what you mean, coasting is clutches, stopping is brakes.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:46 pm

The left side clutch doesn't seem to disengage...can't coast backwards.

Previous owner had a make shift tool to measure the pressure plate fingers. Tool looked good, but I'm unsure how close he got them adjusted. Definitely explains how it could slip, but I think both sides would be adjusted the same.

88MACKdm!
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by 88MACKdm! » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:54 pm

I have a '68 350 that I just replaced the steering clutch pack on the left side. I will not disengage even though I have it adjusted
as shown in manual. It seems that the throw out bearing isn't reaching the fingers. Could it be that the fork has slipped on the shaft?
I used a template for the JD no. 7 , and followed all the directions. I am lost of where to go next, as I have had it apart and together
twice to try and figure it out. Anything will help, Thanks

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:20 pm

First, let me say I don’t have a 350. And I have limited experience with a 350. But I have read here that the first disc goes behind the large snap ring inside the clutch drum.

Best regards,
Bruce

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:50 am

88MACKdm! wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:54 pm
I have a '68 350 that I just replaced the steering clutch pack on the left side. I will not disengage even though I have it adjusted
as shown in manual. It seems that the throw out bearing isn't reaching the fingers. Could it be that the fork has slipped on the shaft?
I used a template for the JD no. 7 , and followed all the directions. I am lost of where to go next, as I have had it apart and together
twice to try and figure it out. Anything will help, Thanks
Okay your problem could be an assortment of issues. The linkage between the steering lever and the actuating lever going into the clutch housing. Make sure there is nothing bent or out of adjustment. Another possibility is the swing arm inside the clutch housing has slipped on the shaft. This is the lever at the very top of the vertical shaft that turns it when you pull the steering lever back. This action then actuates your throwout bearing fork. Follow me so far? The throw out fork itself may have slipped out of position on the shaft and isn't allowing your throwout bearing to side out to meet the fingers on the pressure plate.
What happens is the set screws on either one of these pieces can and will loosen allowing the orientation to be off thus causing your issue. There is also the possibility you may have badly worn bushings that these shafts ride in or the shafts them selves may be broken or worn badly. Any wear in these components will cause adjustment and actuation issues.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

88MACKdm!
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by 88MACKdm! » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:24 pm

Thank you for your answers to my questions. Now to dig in , I hope 1 more time.
Thanks again, I will let you know what I find

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:23 pm

I forgot to mention another possibility I have ran across in the past is the bolts on the throwout bearing collar. I have had a couple of instances where one of the bolts loosened somehow and managed to back itself all the way out. This allowed the collar to turn and the other bolt slipped out of the fork. When that happens then the fork will move forward until it contacts the back of the throwout bearing. It will still try to push the throwout bearing but doesn't have enough reach to properly release the fingers on the pressure plate. It also makes them impossible to get the adjustments correct. I have also had a couple of instances where one or even both of those bolts have broken off causing the same issue. Just something else to look for if everything else seems okay.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.