Jd350 track tensioners

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
AlexM
40C crawler
40C crawler

Jd350 track tensioners

Post by AlexM » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 am

I’ve got a jd350 and had some questions on the track tensioner. I just got a low pressure grease gun & button head coupler to grease the rollers. My machine has 1 old style track tensioner with button head fitting. The other side has what looks to be aftermarket track tensioner part # PV303 or T145145 for the yoke.
When I tried to grease the old tensioner I saw a squiggle of grease coming out from underside of where fitting was. Is there anything under there that would allow grease to escape or is it a cracked yoke?
Also the other PV303 just has a large plug and no visible grease fittings. Is anyone familiar with this style tensioner and how would you add grease?

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Jd350 track tensioners

Post by gaspumpsam » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:19 am

Don’t know JD grease type track adjusters, but just be very careful when loosening/ tightening grease fittings, keep your head way back at arms length when loosening any of these fittings, there can be extreme high pressure under fittings, and as you remove them the pressure could blow them out as you loosen and they become a bullet. Be very careful.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:36 pm

Yeah that's a relief hole. You need to loosen the lock nut and tighten the set screw(bolt) down until its snug. Then tighten the lock nut. The lock nut is preventing it from closing the gap.

While you're at it make sure you have the steel ball under the set screw. Probably have to take the screw out then pump it with grease to push the ball out. You may have no ball, two balls, or just one, but it's worth checking since you're there. You should have one ball.

Jason

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:56 pm

The large coupling with the plug on at least some of those aftermarket adjusters is protection for the grease fitting and relief screw. Remove the plug and I expect you will find the fitting under it.

On your original one if the grease appears to be coming out under the fitting, check for a crack or broken fitting, If it is coming from under the square head set screw with jam nut, located beside the grease fitting. there is a relief hole for it. There is supposed to be a ball under that screw. If it is missing or the screw is loose grease can come out the relief hole. Many get lost when someone doesn't realize the ball is in there and fully removes the screw. The ball will come out hidden in the grease as the idler moves back, then many just wind the screw way down, but they usually still leak a bit without the ball.

AlexM
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by AlexM » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:57 am

Thanks guys for the replies. Another problem solved!
On the newer style tensioner it was just a cover plug with standard zerk grease fitting under it.
The old style tensioner was leaking out from the relief hole. I had loosened just a bit so the button head coupler would go over the fitting causing it to leak. Tightened and no more leakage so all good.
Thanks again for the help!