450C near death accident

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
slabguy
420 crawler
420 crawler

450C near death accident

Post by slabguy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:01 pm

I have been contemplating for a while whether I should post anything about this and I've decided if my story makes 1 person be more careful around their machine then it is worth it. I realize this isn't tech support and if it needs to be moved elsewhere please move it. I am fully embarrassed by my stupidity and carelessness and I assure you I have been and am beating myself up more than anyone else can. At the end of September last year I was working on my farm with my 450C and made a mistake that will affect the rest of my life. I had one gear shift in 4 and the other in neutral with the blade down. I was getting off the machine to go lock my truck and planned on cruising to a spot i was clearing some timber about 10 minutes away (hence the shifter in 4). I stepped off on the track with my left foot and when I brought my right foot over something (pants/boot, not sure) caught the shifter and kicked it in to high. The track caught the heel of my left boot and pulled my left leg out from under me. It pulled me down and under the machine between the tracks. I broke my pelvis in 3 places, femur, tibia, ankle, heel, multiple cuts and lacerations, and dislocated my hip violently enough to smash my sciatic nerve and cause nerve damage in my left leg and foot. I was airlifted to a trauma hospital about 45 minutes away and came close to bleeding out on the way. There is a laundry list of little miracles that lined up to keep me alive. I won't go through the list but 2 major ones are that my iphone in my pocket survived undamaged so I was able to call for help and the helicopter was at a first responder church service about 1/2 mile from my farm so they were able to get to me quickly. I'm very fortunate to be alive and not be paralyzed. It's a miracle I wasn't killed. I'm not looking for sympathy or suggestions saying I should have done things differently. In hindsight, I should have taken more precautions to ensure my safety around the machine. I have operated equipment all my life and have done my fair share of stupid things around equipment where I could have been hurt. I just hope that people reading my story will evaluate the safety measures they are taking around their equipment and modify them where needed. I am on a long road to recovery but it has gone extremely well so far. I was in a wheelchair for 2.5 months. I was up walking with a cane and leg braces (AFOs) recently until another surgery on my ankle last week and hope to only be non weight bearing again for a couple of weeks. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: 450C near death accident

Post by Jason37756 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:20 pm

Man, I hate to hear this. It is life changing, but you can certainly make the best out of every day. We all have different challenges we face each day. I recently had a battery blow up in my face and it was over a silly mistake.

Thanks for sharing.

slabguy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by slabguy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:28 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words Jason. I'm very fortunate to have a trooper of a wife and mother who both have medical backgrounds so that has helped tremendously. I also have a close knit group of friends that have really been there for more at every turn. I fully intend to get back to as close to normal as possible whatever it takes.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:39 pm

Thank you for bringing this story to us. Tragedy is all too common, sorry you were hurt so bad. I’m inspired by your progress and positive spirit. I pray you continue to make progress
Best regards, Bruce

slabguy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by slabguy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:46 pm

Thanks so much Bruce. I am fortunate to have a lot of people praying for me and I will certainly take all I can get.

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:09 pm

Stuff happens real quick at times. We live way off grid, so it's always in my mind to be extra, extra careful. We had a lot of bark beetle killed Ponderosa pines to take out, so we were cabling for dozer tension and cutting. We were really ripping along...almost as if we were in competition pace. Short cabled one in a tight spot, thinking I could turn and angle out before the tree fell. Nope. Even with the ROPS, I was pinned to the seat and my sawyer had to cut me out. Thankfully just a big swell and bruising. No short cuts.
'99 450G 6-Way

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:58 pm

thankfully HE was looking out for you! Best to you and your family. Keep in touch.

Monserandsons
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Monserandsons » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:19 pm

Wow.... best wishes with a full recovery

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:20 am

I don't have a 450, but that is always one of the things I have thought about with them. On the 2010's, there is a gate that will flip over and lock it in neutral, didn't know if the 450's had one or not.
I know one of the things I always worry about on my 440 in the winter is my coverall leg catching on the shifter. It shouldn't be able to get it in gear, but you always wonder.
Glad to hear it turned out better than it could have.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:54 am

As bad as it was I'm glad to hear it was not worse than it was and that you are on the road to recovery.

Your post is a good reminder for all to check, that the linkage for the HLR lever is adjusted by the book, and that the safety lock for HLR neutral is working. I regularly lock mine and try moving the lever to be sure the lock doesn't slip and let it get into gear. Ideally we shut them off before dis-mounting but that isn't always the way it works.
Best wishes for a full recovery,
Jim

slabguy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by slabguy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:20 am

Thanks so much guys for the well wishes and encouragement. Jim, you are exactly right that those items should be checked regularly. I obviously failed to do so. I’ll be turning mine off every time I dismount regardless of the situation. It’s a headache and harder on the machine but that pales in comparison to what I’ve gone through. It’s probably not necessary if the safety lock is working and linkage is adjusted correctly but that’s really the only sure fire way for this not to happen again.

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:33 am

First I am glad you are alive and despite being a slow process, that you are getting well. Your post was hard to read as both my wife and I sat and read it. I called her over. It was really a good thing to bring your story to light. For guys like me. I never thought I would be sitting in the seat of a bulldozer. But I am. I stop before running my old 400 backhoe or 450C every single time and ask for safety. I ask for wisdom to understand that I am a homeowner on a professional grade piece of equipment. And that I don't act beyond my amateur self. I will have a renewed focus on safety now. I appreciate your posting and most importantly, get well. It was not your time to go.
Thank you.
Al
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:26 pm

Posting that was a great thing for you to do. I have done things that after the fact i wonder where my brain was and I am sure others have too. The good news is your here to wake us all up so that is one plus that came out of it although thats a hard one for you.Having had a 450C i can very much understand how that would happen. The lock on mine was not working when i got it but fixed it VERY soon as i almost had a oops like that but not as serious. I have a 350B now and although that has a lock i take the main trans out of gear when ever i get off... but that isnt a option on the 450. Hope your recovery continues and keep us posted. One other plus to this is i am sure you are appreciating your wife a lot more now and thats a plus for both of you.. Good luck !!!!
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

slabguy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by slabguy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:45 pm

It has definitely strengthened our marriage haha. Hardship has a way of doing that

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:15 am

I can't count the number of times I've gotten off machine just like this. There is a lever lock but mine is frozen in place. I'll certainly look at getting that free'd up and in service. I try to do better as I get older but unfortunately it takes accidents like this to remind us all to be more careful.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T