450C near death accident

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Clark
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: 450C near death accident

Post by Clark » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:17 pm

I was pushing trees out with my 350 B the other day. Been running dozers for 40 years and I know better. anyway I was pushing pines out about 6 inches thick 50 ft tall Pushed it over and thought the whole tree came out and kept pushing. I didn't know I cut the tree off and about 8 foot , I backed up and my seat cushion was pushed up about 10 inches and luckily I hit the forward real sudden. got off and looked to find that the tree went under the fuel tank knocking off the fuel line and drain valve. So glad I wasn't impaled by this tree. So guys be careful when pushing trees and brush and then backing up. I read a story in rock and dirt 35 years ago where a fellow was clearing brush and while backing up a small 2 inch brush trunk impaled him and killed him.

Ken Wells
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Ken Wells » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:00 am

Scary story! Glad you survived.
I did the same thing yesterday, knocked the thing in gear with my knee dismounting. Fortunately I wasn't standing on the tracks.
JD450C

TuolumneGuy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by TuolumneGuy » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:25 pm

Ive gotten lucky more than once .i started it once in gear while standing on the track and had to run the opposite way like 3 stooges to dive back into the machine to shut it down . Always made it a point to lock that shift gate in neutral witb the e brake set.buckets/ outriggers etc.and not just that but even backing into brush and have it Push on the backhoe controls .thank god nobody or my dog werent standing back there with the bucket flying all over and me not know for a sec . ..the very first time i used a excavator i flipped it because i thought i was comfortable enough with the different style controls untill i had an emergency situation and i instinctively tried to zig but zagged instead and over we went.seatbelt SAVED MY ASS. and yes .always keep my phone on me .once my kid decided to climb in after i had climbed up into the bucket while moving a small building...then one time i flipped a crow bar into my mouth on accident when i was mounting a sprocket weight And it slipped off....not trying to impress anyone with my stupidity but hope that if i tell people someone might have a last sec thought before they make the same mistakes