Looking for 450 tool tray pictures or measurements

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Looking for 450 tool tray pictures or measurements

Post by oldmetalmender » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:39 am

Bennyt I see you asked about them on Feb 11. I thought you might have been following the thread and would have seen the request for addresses and items wanted in a PM message request. I figured some might have changed their minds. No biggie.
I am picking up a new sheet of 16 GA today. I will be making more in the next coming weeks. And I have PM's to the three members on the handle height issue. So any new trays will have this correction. Any old trays that are to tall will be a garage or work shop item. Bennyt please let me know in a PM or email what parts you want, and your complete mailing address. I will have a new batch completed before to long. Tray and board is 75.00 Tray, board and support straps is 85.00 A compete kit with a rubberized heat shrink handle is 95.00 Add a drawer liner insert for 100 total. Not including shipping. Average shipping cost of a kit to the central USA was about 35 bucks from my location. That is not a solid number and will vary with location.
Please let me know what you want to do...
Thank you.

Al
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:47 am

timmtnman wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:34 am
Hi Al, just wanted to check in and make sure you didnt forget my order also, I know I want two trays and boards and one set of straps. Also we talked about the battery trays too. No hurry on anything here. I sent some PMs too and never heard back so I an guessing you didnt get the last ones. Very nice work and they look great.
Hi Tim,

I found your PM's for the electrical questions but nothing on the tool trays. It must have had a hang up somewhere. I will definitely get some made for you. I am getting more metal today. For any other members wanting one or more, please PM me or see my email back a couple posts and send me your complete mailing address and exactly what you want. Those are what I refer to when making and boxing stuff up. I am adding non OEM features with a rubberized handle and a drawer liner insert. Please see that and add if you want it.
I will get you set up Tim. Thanks for the message!

Al.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:07 am

oldmetalmender wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:47 am
timmtnman wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:34 am
Hi Al, just wanted to check in and make sure you didnt forget my order also, I know I want two trays and boards and one set of straps. Also we talked about the battery trays too. No hurry on anything here. I sent some PMs too and never heard back so I an guessing you didnt get the last ones. Very nice work and they look great.
Hi Tim,

I found your PM's for the electrical questions but nothing on the tool trays. It must have had a hang up somewhere. I will definitely get some made for you. I am getting more metal today. For any other members wanting one or more, please PM me or see my email back a couple posts and send me your complete mailing address and exactly what you want. Those are what I refer to when making and boxing stuff up. I am adding non OEM features with a rubberized handle and a drawer liner insert. Please see that and add if you want it.
I will get you set up Tim. Thanks for the message!

Al.
PM received and replied.
Thank you

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:06 pm

Thanks Al, I will send my info in an email

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:23 pm

I received your PM Tim. Thank you and I responded back.
I picked up another 4x8 sheet of 16 GA and plasma cut it into 4 rows. And also bought 20 feet of strap for the handles today. I had to special order in more wider strap for the supports. It's an odd size nobody stocks around here. Not even in Spokane. I am going to put a couple days into my engine build and will be on these trays very soon. I have a lot to build. I am sure there will be some replacements with the handle height issue I discovered. I will get a handle on it.... :mrgreen:
I hope the "pandemic" does not get super bad. That may delay some shipping. The wife and I are now laying low to see what will happen with it. I sure don't want it. :shock: I sure will keep everybody informed on where the tray progress is at.
bennyt, no message received yet.

Cheers all,
al
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:16 pm

I should be back to making tool trays in about three days. I am trying to finish my engine rebuild. I think it is important to mention that I called Lavoy to ask if my making and selling these parts was OK on his board. In this circumstance he said it was OK. So Thank you Lavoy for this opportunity to get tool trays out and broaden my fabricating knowledge.

I have ordered some heat shrink to put on the handles. As an additional option. It will rubberize the handle and is more of a custom feature or a nice to have. It was more expensive than I anticipated but adding 6 dollars to the initial order will cover it. It needs to be specifically requested for all new orders.

If any of you gentlemen who ordered the tool trays already and you want a rubberized handle, there will be no charge for this as I feel sending a free replacement and adding a cheap feature is the least I could do to remedy my height mistake. I would need you guys to let me know in a PM if you want it. I will keep an eye on the messages.
Thanks all.
Al
1969 JD 400 backhoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Good afternoon Oldmetalmender,

I got a treat on the porch when I can home!! Two boxes as promised, in good shape. I will send an email as I test fit.

Thank you, Bruce

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:56 pm

Got your email Bruce. Very happy to hear the two machines fit well. As for the third machine with the different size battery box, I can make longer straps based on the excellent pictures you sent, But could you please check your email. I need some clarification on how to change the board lower block exactly. Thanks for the reply. Been on my toes here wondering. :)
1969 JD 400 backhoe

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:40 am

Hi,

I got a box yesterday! Well, our group of mailboxes up at the end of the farm road got one. The USPS tends to just drop them up there. Once in a while a package-only carrier will drive it down into the river valley. The daily carrier doesn't. But, I didn't go up there until almost dark yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to unpack it, much less check the handle. I'll be getting out there soon and that's the first thing I will do.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 pm

Al,
I have sent a new email and some pics.

I’m super happy with the quality, construction, fit etc... I can’t say enough. Really nice wooden plate, tool tray and straps.

Wishing you good progress and success on your projects.

Bruce

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:35 pm

Thanks Bruce,

I just sent you an email. I can make you a custom board and straps no sweat... Great pictures on the changes needed. I need to see what machine you had that had a different battery box. I'll go back and look...

Still waiting to hear back from everybody else. Hopefully no issues and everything fits well also.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:57 am

Good morning Sir,
The 450C dozer with SN 313,xxx is requiring the wider straps and plate. The box is factory and original to the machine. There must be a SN break between my machines. The straps you have made fit perfectly into my two earlier machines, SN 238,xxx

Thank you for the update. You have made great progress on your machine.

Stay well, Bruce

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:56 pm

Thanks Bruce. I looked in the parts manual. There are changes to dozens of components with serial number time stamps. I see the battery box got an addition of a battery switch which probably did not affect the width of the compartment itself. The switch was added at Ser # 220363. My machine is 226XXX and apparently there was a change in box width somewhere between that range and yours. So that complicates things just a tad. For people ordering now and later. I will measure my box width and post it. Bruce, if it is not to much to ask, could you run a tape measure across the gap and measure the width? Just inside to inside is good. Maybe near the switch bridge since it was welded in and the width there should be accurate and what the rest of the box should be. I had to persuade my battery box wall with a hammer to fix the front end up by the shifters. It's straight now... :wink:
I will document the change and have to ask people to measure before I send parts. This is all great to find out. And completely normal for discovering new things to make. There is always detail that should not be overlooked. Thanks for helping with the discovery that there are two versions.

Al.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:41 pm

238,xxx SN track loader battery box measures 7 3/4”(where the battery is placed, measured inside to inside at the main battery switch.

313,xxx SN track dozer measures 8 1/16” at the location as measured above.

Hope this helps with future efforts, Bruce

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:50 pm

Absolutely it helps Bruce. You have been very helpful in getting these items made. There is always a bump or two in the process, but in the end with persistence the final product is hopefully as good as it can be. So thank you.
So for all future tool tray requests, owners need to measure their battery box width and tell me what they have.

I'll get going on your replacement parts in a day or two Bruce. I am actually on a generator right now. We had a windstorm and came home to no power. I need to get my shop set up with a transfer switch. I have a million things to do. :)
1969 JD 400 backhoe