Another 450C Steering Clutches

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

Another 450C Steering Clutches

Post by rufustoad » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi all,
I am probably going to ask several questions on this thread because I am in the beginning stages of diagnosing some issues with my crawler. To start with the crawler stopped pulling a while back and I think it was only on the left side so I pulled it in and decided to replace the main drive clutch first only because I noticed wear and oil (originally ordered an 11" clutch, plate, brg and I had a 12". I waited to long and they wouldn't take it back so I have an 11" set for sale cheap). I put that back together and pulled the lid off of the left top housing and found the brake was shot so I will replace the brakes on both sides and maybe the clutches (if I must) although I fear this job because I am doing it myself and it looks to be a huge undertaking (may not have a choice).
My actual question is, when I start the engine I have hyd fluid coming out of the bottom of the shaft assy (cant see without a mirror) just before the brake drum and 180° opposite the hydraulic hose on the top side of the shaft that feeds the clutches. WHY?? I can assume this is not normal and could be why I lost pull on that side? If there are seals inside the clutch drum leaking could this pour out from that area?
God Bless
Todd

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Another 450C Steering Clutches

Post by Jim B » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:06 pm

Just to be sure when you say you replaced the main clutch you are referring to the engine clutch and are now looking in the left steering clutch compartment, correct?

The steering clutches are applied by oil pressure and when you pull on a steering lever it dumps the application oil releasing the clutch. So yes, if you have leaking steering clutch seals that could be your problem. The good news is the 450C has wet clutches so oil won't hurt them, if they haven't been damaged due to slipping.

Do you have the Technical (service) manual John Deere number TM1102 or a copy of it? If you don't you should get one. It has diagnostic info and will guide you as you work on it. If you don't have a copy send Lavoy, owner of this site, an email (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) and see if he can get you a copy through his store. If you don't have a parts catalog you can use the on line parts catalog at https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... anguage=19. Put 450C in the model search box and search. You will get a list of machines with 450C in the title. The 450C crawler parts catalog is PC1420. (You didn't say it was a loader so I am assuming it is a crawler dozer.) That will show you the components, including seals, in the steering clutches.

Hope this helps as a start.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm

Are we certain this is a “C” series. The “B” series and earlier had dry steering houses. Yes the steering packs are released by a hydraulic actuated throw-out bearing. In a dry clutch scenario, If a hose breaks or the throw-out diaphragm leaks in a a dry clutch housing you will have lots of oil where it doesn’t belong and have dry clutches that are oiled and will not push/pull.

Just make certain there is not a cast cover with three bolts on the outside of the final drive, just on the inside of the track chain/pads. There have been many examples of older dry clutch machines reborn as a wet clutch series “C” with new paint and a decal

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:27 am

B Town has a point. I see you joined years ago so you must have seen at least some of the posts relating to issues with the wrong decals on machines and or people not reading the serial numbers correctly. I will ask anyway just to be sure, have you confirmed your model by the serial number? As you know wet and dry clutches are different. Either way a visible oil leak is bad, but more damage will occur to dry clutches from it.

Jim

rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by rufustoad » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:50 pm

Hi Guys, sorry for the delay but I have to many things I want to do and only 2 hands:) I am back on the project and I really have gotten so much farther than I had expected. Right now I have the clutch pack on my bench and they look really good (anyone know the thickness specs for them? They are .185"). They have plenty of hatch pattern in them so I might very well just leave them alone and the plates are not burnt or groved.
Can anyone check on a SN for me or lead me to where I can?? SN=450CA 234819T

So I am a little confused and wonder if you can give some advice?. I noticed in the manual that the bleed vent lines were removed to create one common sump for all three sumps (trans+ left+ right sumps). So before I knew that I drained the fluid from the left sump and I started the engine and I noticed a leak under the pressure manifold I could not see. I have everything apart and see nothing wrong with seals etc. but I see the old vent line fitting is open in the manifold which was removed for the new common sump set up so I assume this is normal and would leak when normally running. Does this sound correct? Would that just bleed and if so how would pressure build in the hydraulic lines?

More to come just hope I can get the parts I need.
Anyone know where I can get some new brake bands?? PN AT104901
God Bless
Todd

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:50 am

I have brake bands available, would have to double check price.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by rufustoad » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:24 am

Thanks Lavoy. Pls let me know what 2 would cost me. Are they JD's or after market?
God Bless
Todd

rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by rufustoad » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:33 am

I also might have made a mistake by putting this blog in late mods and I apologize if so. I have no problem with it being moved.

Lavoy, do you sell any other items for this 450?? like R39322 for example??
God Bless
Todd

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:31 pm

Aftermarket-$475, OEM about $1400
R39322, looks like a sealing ring-$20
Lavoy

rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by rufustoad » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:53 pm

Any discount if i purchase 2??
Do you have 4 of those seals??
God Bless
Todd

rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by rufustoad » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:16 pm

I was going to post some pics for you guys but I can not for the life of me figure out how to do it unless I am not allowed but it shows a pic attachment. Any ideas?
God Bless
Todd

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:59 pm

None in stock, short delay to order.
Lavoy