350B Injection pump issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
J.Catalano
MC crawler
MC crawler

350B Injection pump issue

Post by J.Catalano » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:00 pm

After getting my engine back mounted to the reverser and everything hooked back up and filled with fluids I am now having a few issues with my injection pump. When I got into the shop I noticed a good amount of diesel fuel leaked onto the floor. I cleaned up the injection pump with saw the leak coming from what seemed to be the throttle linkage shaft. I decided to try and fire the motor just to see if the issue would get fix by running fuel through the system. When I went to shut off the engine it kept running as if the ignition was still on. Even when I cut the power to the battery the engine kept running. Eventually I had to pull the intake and choke it to get it to turn off.

I am not sure if these two issues are related but they were not present before pulling the motor to fix the leak in the reverser. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B Injection pump issue

Post by Jim B » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Unless you banged or otherwise put stress on the throttle shaft during the pulling and installing the engine, I doubt the leak has anything to do with that. It is likely its time had run out and showed up now.

As for it not shutting off I would start by checking to see that a wire didn't get crossed during your work. If you got a wire that is hot all the time hooked to the solenoid, or somewhere along its wire's length, it wouldn't shut off. Test with a test light or voltmeter to see if it is turning on and off with the key when it is not running and then when it is running. If the wire is turning off with the key when not running but stays on when running I would look for something crossed with the charging circuit. If the wire turns off at all times, the problem is likely in the pump.

It may be time to have your pump gone through. Some will say you can do it yourself. Some have succeeded, some failed and did more damage than if they had left it alone. Personally I send mine to a pump shop that has the right tools and equipment to test and calibrate them. Your machine what you do is your choice.