JD350C - Doesn't Pull on Right Side

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
karbuf
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD350C - Doesn't Pull on Right Side

Post by karbuf » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:46 pm

I need some advice. I'm looking at buying a JD350C. Owner says it will not pull on right side. It isn't locked, it just doesn't appear to engage on that side.

I have a 450B that I've replaced steering clutch/drum/bands on... so I'm somewhat familiar with how these things work... but I don't know anything about the 350C and I understand that it is a wet clutch system...

Any advice for what to look for when I go to see it? Any ideas why it would not pull on the one side?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

tim.......

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD350C - Doesn't Pull on Right Side

Post by LeonardL » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:45 pm

The first thing to look for is the linkage between the steering lever and the valve that operates the clutch. This is all underneath the seat. Look for a binding steering lever or linkage that could be rust bound. I have also seen those linkage rods that connect the steering lever to the valve get bent causing the valve to not fully engage the clutch. There is also an adjustment on the eyebolt on the steering valve that will cause the same issue. This is all external and easily fixed. However if this is all okay then it will be inside the clutch housing and it will have to be pulled to find the issue. There are a couple of tubes with o-rings, a manifold, sealing rings and piston seals that can cause the clutch to not engage. The other thing would be the clutch discs themselves could be worn enough to slip. Although I have never seen a 350 wet clutch worn to that point. I'm not saying it can't happen I'm just saying I've personally never seen that. Usually it will be a sealing ring or a piston seal leaking pressure. Another less likely cause would be the drive axle may be broken on that side or an issue with the final drive. Hope this helps and good luck.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:54 pm

Mu guess is it is not a wet clutch crawler unless you have verified it by serial number. Assuming it is not, I am guessing the clutch is shot. If you find it is, what Leonard said.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:10 pm

If you are not sure how to decipher the serial number to confirm what it is, post the entire letter and number string from the serial number tag and we can help you. Starting with some of the late model Bs the serial number tag is located on the front panel of the battery box/arm rest, right where you would see if as you get on the machine. The straight 350s and early 350Bs had the tag on the front of the panel under the seat, behind your right calf if you are setting in the seat.

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:44 pm

You can visually verify it is a 350C by looking under the seat. If there is a valve mechanism on top of each steering clutch housing with the steering linkage connected to it it is a C model

karbuf
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by karbuf » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:18 pm

Wow. thanks everyone for the fast and very helpful replies.. I'm trying to get the model/serial number from the seller.. apparently it got painted over and he's gonna try to clean it off tomorrow.. I'll post it here when i get it.. yeah I have my doubts about it being a C model too.. that's why i asked him for it.. It's about 3hrs away and I can't go this wkend to see it... I'm planning to go see it next weekend (3/7)

thanks again... stay tuned!

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:00 am

Lavoy wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:54 pm
Mu guess is it is not a wet clutch crawler unless you have verified it by serial number. Assuming it is not, I am guessing the clutch is shot. If you find it is, what Leonard said.
Lavoy
Thanks Lavoy... :oops: I should have asked that or at least brought it out first and foremost. It is very possible that it isn't a "C" model at all. These machines are getting old and have been out in the real world long enough for them to have been modified and cross bread and who knows what else by now. Most are given two gallon restorations and then slap whatever set of decals they can find on them. Suddenly it is a different machine than it actually is!! :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

karbuf
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by karbuf » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Yeah.. I think you guys were onto something there... I just got the serial number.. I'm thinking a straight 350 now.. Can you confirm:
Type: T4E3D
Serial: 044109T

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:50 pm

Looks like a 1967, according to the SN’s in the FAQ section.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:38 pm

Broken clutch discs, broken drive shaft, either way, not a bad job, easier than 450 I think, but never done a 450, just know the process. I normally have all the clutch stuff in stock.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:55 pm

T = Tractor, 4 = Straight 350, E = loader, 3 = diesel, D= sliding gear transmission with reverser, 044109 = 1967 from the list on the FAQ Board as Bruce said, T = John Deere Dubuque Works (build location). It is not a C series. It will be dry steering clutches as Lavoy suspected.

karbuf
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by karbuf » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:09 pm

Thanks for the read-out on the type and SN... I'm still gonna go look at it next weekend.. it has a backhoe on it too..

Lavoy, if i get it, i'll reach out to you on those disks... Thanks!

BTW.. I have a backhoe on my 450B... Model E0093.. I need an H-Link for it.. I can't find one.. Any chance any of you know where I can find one or any suggestions on fabricating one?

Thank you,
tim......

karbuf
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by karbuf » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:02 pm

Just wanted to follow up.. turns out this was a 1967 350... owner didn't get the engine to start but i could hear a knock when it was spinning over. I ended up not buying it even though i could have gotten a killer deal on it... I just don't have time or spare change for a (another) project right now. I did, however, buy the backhoe.. had to put some seals in the valve body and replace a few hoses... hope to connect to it this weekend and dig out a stump or two.

Thanks everyone for the help!

tim....