Straight 350 injection pump?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Blane
40C crawler
40C crawler

Straight 350 injection pump?

Post by Blane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Recently purchased a 350 loader . It's been sitting in a barn for 15 years . Changed all filters and fluids then fired it up and it ran ok for about 20 minutes then started to miss ànd lost power. So I blew out fuel lines bleed out air also checked lift pump now it only runs for 20 seconds and quiets. Removed check valve in the return line and it runs but not well. what's my next move ? Is the injection pump on it's way out? I suspect "mouse turds" ???

Jim B
    350 crawler
    350 crawler

Re: Straight 350 injection pump?

Post by Jim B » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:15 am

Welcome to the board.

Was the check valve plugged? Did you see any "mouse turds" in it? If you carefully remove the small plate, held on by two screws, on the side of the injection pump you may see the "mouse turds" there. If so, then yes repair of the pump is in order.

Did changing all the fluids include draining and putting fresh fuel in it? After having set for 15 years the fuel may be bad. There is a good chance contamination in the old fuel plugged your new filters. It might have water, rust, algae growth, etc. in it. I would try changing the filters again. Change, don't try to drain and reuse. Also you could cut the filters open and see what if anything is in them. If the filters have a lot of material or a black slimey coating on the filter media , and it runs again after that, it would be best to drain and clean the tank (and change the filters) before going further. Add new fuel and treat with a tank cleaner/biocide to stop future growth. The tank definitely should be drained and cleaned if you have to have the pump overhauled.

Speaking of filters, what brand and part number filters did you use? There is a common issue with the Wix/NAPA type where the top gasket gets out of place and ends up in the opening just inside the top rim of the filter element rather than up in the groove of the housing where it is supposed to seal the raised lip.

Some things to check before condemning the injection pump.

Blane
    40C crawler
    40C crawler

Post by Blane » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:08 am

Thanks I'll double check the filters and gaskets . I did drain the fuel tank before first start and it looked pretty clean. inside of tank looked clean also. I can say the check valve had been tampered with and you can blow through it both ways. it's been beat up a little.

Blane
    40C crawler
    40C crawler

Post by Blane » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:45 pm

Looks like the new check valve fixed it for now. Also found a small air leak at the filters. Not going to cheep out on parts again going straight to JD from now on. Lesson learned. Should I stop worrying about the governor ring? Like I said the check valve had been tampered with.. who knows what the past owner has done to it. I did look behind the timeing window no mouse turds there . It has been sitting for many years. Only 1049 hours on the meter. Do you think the governor will fail after some real work it hasn't left the shop yet still got a final drive to do yet .