Logging cable size, need drawbar pull for 455G

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jwalk2c
40C crawler
40C crawler

Logging cable size, need drawbar pull for 455G

Post by jwalk2c » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Hello,
Can anyone supply the approx. drawbar pulling strength of a 1987 455G TC?
I have an operator’s manual, but that specification is not listed.
I am deciding on size and strength of logging cable needed to make up 1 or 2 short cables 25 ft in length, loop on both ends, and a choker cable.
Currently I am using the wrong product, 4 " tow straps which are rated at 30K breaking strength, but I did not take into consideration that once these straps are damaged by being pulled through dirt, breaking limit drops dramatically.
I wanted to ask here if anyone has done any logging with a small loader or dozer and if so what size cable and choker do you use?
I will use a Crosby clevis to attach the choker to cable.
That brings up another question.
Am I correct to assume that to meet the comparable rating of five eights or three quarters cable in a clevis requires a clevis approx. (25Ton) with a pin the diameter of the drawbar pin, which is inch and three eights?
Thank you

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Logging cable size, need drawbar pull for 455G

Post by Jim B » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:37 pm

Straps are definitely wrong for your application.

This John Deere site has some drawbar pull info. https://www.deere.com/en/dozers/non-current-models/ It appears the drawbar pull is only shown for dozers, not the loaders. The 450G TC dozer shows a bit over 24,000 lbs. maximum. That will be affected by machine weight and traction. The dozer will have single bar grousers and you should have the triple bar shoes which may have less traction in some cases. I would expect the two machines would be close.

I use my 450E to get wood out, but it has a 3325 winch. That winch can use 1/2, 5/8, or 3/4 cable. The winch cable on mine is 5/8" EIPS IWRC with choker slides. I have 1/2" cable chokers and some 3/8 choker chains to hook around trees/logs. At times the winch can drag the crawler, so line pull is 15K or better.

You are in a rigging twilight zone with ratings, using them the way you are. The Crosby ratings on their shackles and hardware are to ratings to ANSI rigging standards (overhead lifting), usually 1/5 the breaking strength (1/4 or 1/6 in some cases). Cable can be rated as high as 1/3 breaking strength on some crane running lines ratings, manufactured chokers with eyes are normally rated at 1/5 breaking strength. 3/4", 6x19 EIPS IWRC cable is about 58,800 lb. breaking strength, a choker manufactured with that cable would be rated at 11,200 lb. for rigging use. A Crosby 7/8 carbon shackle is rated at 13,00 lbs .for rigging at 1/6 of ultimate strength by their catalog. Pulling logs from a drawbar can be hard as the butts like to catch on things or dig in. I would rather have the log close rather than 25 feet behind the crawler. If you use the rigging rated values for rigging to match you drawbar pull you should be heavy enough, but talk to the supplier you plan to use and get their recommendation for their products.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

Jim

jwalk2c
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: Logging cable size, need drawbar pull for 455G

Post by jwalk2c » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:52 am

Thank you for the detailed information.
You were spot on with the drawbar specs.
I have both the TM1404 and TM1403 Technical Manuals and found that they do list the drawbar pulling capacity for the 450G dozer at 24000 which is what you said.
I will head your advice on keeping the logs closer to the tractor, I had not thought of that. I ordered a 3/4 cat choker 15ft. I know its overkill, but I do not have a brush guard on the back of my ROPs and worry too much.
The reason for long cable lengths is I am working in a creek that Walnut and other trees falling into from erosion. I want to save the Walnut tress for lumbar, and all the other species of trees, Walnut included that fall in are causing massive dams that undermine the banks causing more erosion. I have lived here 30 plus years and the creek banks have grown from 10 feet wide to 25 to 30 feet wide.
Flash floods turn them into raging white water rapids full of destruction. Recent heavy rains caused a majestically tall Black Walnut - 30 inch in diam, (one of the largest and my favorite) collapse the creek bank and slide into the creek. The creek bank and root ball it took with it would fill a dump truck.
The long cable I will need is to ‘snake” some of these trees out of the creek. The banks are 10 to 12 feet high or deep.
I thinks I will go with 5/8 cable.
And I found a 1 ½ Crosby shackle on eBay that appears to be in good shape.
I am being mindful of erosion control and want to place some wood in the creek to form pockets of water and slow the water and for wildlife. But first I need to stop these large log jams from forming, and that means dragging the tress that fall in out .
Thanks again for your information.
John