Needing head gasket wisdom

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
neilh
MC crawler
MC crawler

Needing head gasket wisdom

Post by neilh » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:14 am

During the course of slowly repairing my father's 1965 JD-350 (no suffix), the head gasket managed to fail. The two main obvious symptoms is very foggy exhaust and an oil reservoir full of antifreeze.

I don't have a reference book. So I need some torque specs for the head bolts, and the rocker arm assembly.

Is there any other obvious and inexpensive things that ought to be replace while I have the head off of the engine?

Does this model have any quirks that I ought to know?

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Needing head gasket wisdom

Post by oldmetalmender » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:38 am

I had multiple head gasket failures. Only when I got out the micrometers did I find a liner that was low. Turns out the block was cracked in 5 places and junk. My build thread has pictures in the first couple pages where the cracks were. Use the manual and measure very carefully. Make sure everything is in spec. And you should replace the head bolts.
Now have I got a deal for you... :mrgreen: I had a 4219 motor. I switched to a 4239 block. Thicker casting, better built etc. That new block had the deeper counter sunk head bolt holes (.313)?. That required the newer style flanged head bolts that you don't need to retorque. I have three new in the bag John Deere OEM non flanged head bolt packages sitting here. 18 total that I would gladly sell you for a song. We should verify they are the part number you need. If so and you want them I am a PM away...
I am sure others will have some valuable feedback here. And they will post up. But check those liners and make sure everything is super clean on reassembly.
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:09 pm

You didn't say if it is a dozer or a loader, so I am guessing it is a dozer. As oldmetalmender mentioned use the manual. You say you don't have a reference book, aka service or technical manual, now is the time to get one. As mentioned there is more to check than just a few bolt torques, when replacing a head gasket on sleeved engine. People here are willing to help with problems but you should have the "guide" to help you understand and make the checks they mention. The service manual for a straight 350 is John Deere SM2063. I believe Lavoy (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) has a version of this in his store, or can get it for you. The Operator's Manual is another you should have as it has some normal maintenance info in it that is not in the service manual. OMT32423 is the number JD currently says is for the 350s. Lavoy may have a different number as there have been several printings over the years for them.

The cylinder liners (sleeves) can also fail (erode holes in the sleeves) and give similar symptoms. Liner seals can fail and let coolant into the base.

If you don't know about the on line parts catalog for the 350, this link will take you to it.
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... ment/62257

oldmetalmender's engine is a four cylinder so it is not likely his parts will fit your engine but a check of part numbers will tell on bolts and accessories.

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:41 pm

I was just wandering through the JD parts catalog site. It's a good resource. Especially when I don't want to walk all the way to the shop to check something in the manual.
I also jumped the gun with my head bolt offer. The R53223 bolts I have also fit my old 69 JD400 backhoe. I should really keep them for future service work on that machine. So I apologize for offering first before realizing they fit another machine I have here. But yes, replace the head bolts while you are in there. I have full manuals for both machines. Priceless for working on them. Like a special shaped tool that fits only one thing. Best thing you could ever invest in. Good luck with the repair. You are in good hands on this site. :)
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:32 pm

Don’t forget to have cyl head rebuilt( by a good rebuilder/shop) and check it for cracks first
Just an idea!!
Stay safe everyone!!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:19 am

I would plane the head as well.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 am

and use the copper sealant for the gasket