1st major repair question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
NaEh-in-New-York
MC crawler
MC crawler

1st major repair question

Post by NaEh-in-New-York » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:50 am

Hello all,
So I have recently purchased a JD350 (s# T5E3M 0694781) and inevitably something broke. In this case it was the high pressure line going from the hydraulic pump to the valve manifold. I can see the previous owners repairs (brazed) but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the pipe out with out also removing the main return line for the pump too. I'm just double checking here before I start taking even more apart.
I'm also wondering how worth my time/money it is to redo the repair with braze, obviously the old owner did it and it mostly worked, I'm just wondering how long I can expect it to last.

Thanks,
Will

jbloam
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: 1st major repair question

Post by jbloam » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:02 am

I just did mine on my 350 about a month ago. Same issue. It was worn thin and burst. I could see multiple brazing locations on mine so instead of taking a chance I made the choice not to re use it. I cut it out with a sawzall. I Replaced it with a high pressure hydraulic hose which is working great. If you go this route, be sure to secure the hose in multiple locations to hold it fast. You can also find a shop to fabricate a hard line if yours is not re usable.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 am

Welcome to the board.

Looking at the serial number you posted a bit more studying needs to be done as that is not a 350 serial number. If the description below doesn't match up to your machine you might have a struggle finding the right parts at times.

Machine serial number breakdown (T5E3M 0694781) using the 450 Introduction from the JD parts Catalog:

SN = serial number
T = Tractor
5 = JD450 (A 350 would have a 4 in this spot)
E = Crawler loader
3 = Diesel
M = Transmission (HLR)

Serial number: 069478 (This number falls in the 1968 build range using the serial number list on this site’s FAQ board)

T= (Build location) John Deere Dubuque Works (Look closely, I believe the 1 you posted is actually a “T”)

By the parts catalog this serial number is for a 1968 straight 450 crawler loader with a diesel engine and HLR transmission.

A 350 used a 3 cylinder engine. A 450 used a 4 cylinder engine. How many cylinders is yours?

As for the brazed line. Sometimes you have to take more apart than you hoped to get away with. Occasionally they can be cleaned out and repaired in place. How long it will last is always an unknown. Done right, if the material is still good, it will last a long time. Bad base material, contamination, vibration, etc., it might leak the next time you start it. From a check of the parts catalog for a 450 loader it doesn't look like the tube is available any longer, so replacement means find a salvage one, fabricate your own, or use a hose.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:08 am

don't know for sure if possible but, my jd440c did have a filter in the hard line with fittinggs on each end, i was able to get connectors and save it and of course get the filter out as it did not belong on that line,

wonder if can cut out the bad section and get fittings and connect if rest of hardline in good shape? don't know how fittings fasten to the hard lines

NaEh-in-New-York
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by NaEh-in-New-York » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:38 am

whoops my mistake it is a 450.
After wrestling with it I think I'm going to go for a hose. If nothing else it will be easier to work on next time it breaks.
Thanks! William.

hmm wonder if the hydraulic shop is even open now. Guess ill find out

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:53 am

Make sure your hose is as large in ID as the tube ID or you will restrict flow. It is likely a #10 (1"wrench for fitting nut), #12 (1-1/4" wrench for fitting nut), or #16 (1-1/2" wrench for fitting nut). Those are the common wrench sizes for those hose/tube fitting sizes. HTH
Jim