Oil cooler leaking.... Again

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
camjeep3
40C crawler
40C crawler

Oil cooler leaking.... Again

Post by camjeep3 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:22 am

Hello everyone!
I have been clearing a spot to build a shop at my house with my 450b loader. As i was leveling some ground I noticed a line of oil in the dirt :cry: when I got pff to inspect, I found oil seeping from the fins of the small cooler attached to the radiator. I had the same problem a few years ago. I removed and had it repaired. Now I'm wondering if I can bypass this and mount generic similar size unit infront? Anyone have this issue before?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Oil cooler leaking.... Again

Post by Jim B » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:48 pm

I would stay with the type it was designed with. I my thoughts adding one in front of the radiator, when it is clean, increases the obstruction to air passing through the coolant radiator and makes a place debris can get caught blocking air flow and causing overheating of engine and transmission when dirty. Just my thoughts.

camjeep3
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by camjeep3 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:41 pm

I agree. I hate going away from oem. But figured if I cpupd get one that went in front of the original cooler. I wouldnt hurt the engine cooling?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:47 pm

DERALE makes many different sizes of cooler of the same configuration as the one you have. I would get one the same size to bigger and throw yours away. If you want, they even make them with 12 volt auxiliary fans that you can tie in to a thermostatic switch that will turn the fan on at a certain temp.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com