350b starter

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Drew350b
MC crawler
MC crawler

350b starter

Post by Drew350b » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:11 am

hello everyone , this is my first post here , i have a 1973 350b diesel , i have a few questions about , i had the nose of the starter break off and fall into the flywheel / reverser housing . this is the second time i have had this happen in the last 15 years, is this a known issue? i plan to pull the engine to remove the pieces that broke off, while im at it im pulling the the reverser and transmission and going through them also. the reverser takes time to engage in reverse once the machine is warmed up, and i have noticed the transmission oil has alot of metal in it when i pull the dipstick. i also paln to check the steering clutches as i can not get the left side adjusted properly. about 15 years ago i rebuilt the engine, undercarraige , and steering clutches, i had the brake bands relined and had the drums turned and cleaned up the insides as best as i could were there were grooves worn in from the steel plates. i also put in new throw out bearings, pressure plates , steels and fibers, rebuilt the power steering cylinders. some questions i have for now are.
1. the dozer has a winch but no reverse gear in the transmission , only the reverser. is it possible to add reverse to the transmission while i have it out , and what parts are needed?
2.could a bad bearing in the transmission such as on the axle going out to the steering clutch cause the left side steering issue?
3. for some reason if i have to replace steering clutch components what are everyones thoughts on the bimetallic steering clutch disks vs the standard fiber disks? and also replacing the original steering clutch drums with new ones?
any input is apreciated

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 350b starter

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:03 pm

Not sure if reverse can be added, that would take a lot of time with a couple different parts books to research.
Clutch issue is not carrier bearing, if it was, it would have already shredded the ring and pinion.
I am not a fan of the bimetallic discs, they are horribly aggressive, and only way I have gotten them to work to my satisfaction is substantial deviation from factory adjustment specs, but it can be done.
Not sure new drums are available, and if they are, what quality. I see no gain in it. If yours are worn, I can get undersized bands to run on cut drums. Notches can be cleaned up with a file.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Drew350b
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Drew350b » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:17 pm

Thanks for the reply, when I turned the drums , and relined the bands I am pretty sure they are for factory spec and not for undersized drums. Is it possible that i just have no adjustment left and could be fixed with the right bands

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:05 pm

Possible, but not highly likely, depends on how much they cut off of the drums.
lavoy

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:32 pm

Lavoy has already answered your main questions so there is no need for me to answer them again. However I am curious why you would want to add reverse to the transmission? You won't gain anything by adding it is my point. All of your power distribution goes directly from the engine to the reverser and then to the transmission. So even if you have reverse gear in the transmission it will not function unless your reverser is functioning. Then if you do use the reverse gear in the transmission you have to make sure you are in forward on the reverser. If you have the reverser in reverse and then the transmission in reverse you will go forward. So unless I'm missing something or some reason you think you need the reverse gear then I see no need to have it in the first place. Not being a smart ass here, I'm just curious why you would want it.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Drew350b
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Drew350b » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:41 pm

So I can use the winch while using reverse, now winch only works with reverser in forward And the transmission in a gear or neutral

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:18 pm

Just an FYI, I have new starters available when you get to that point.
Lavoy

Drew350b
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Drew350b » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:56 pm

Sounds good I will be getting a hold of you when I get things torn down and ready to order parts

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:59 pm

Sounds good.
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:31 am

Hi,

Adding a reverse gear in the trans (so you can back up while using the winch while leaving the reverser in forward) can be done. It need quite a few parts which are not present in the reverse gear-less trans. My dad used to do this from time-to-time when we had our JD dealership. It took quite a bit of time. As Lavoy says, it would take some time to make up the parts list from the manuals. Dad had a list long ago, but I no longer have it. It was pretty much a full notebook page.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:52 pm

One thing I would add is that if it can be done, you are looking at a compete tear down to just the transmission, then the rebuild. Nothing can be done really to the transmission while it is installed in the crawler. You maybe already knew that, but just in case.
Lavoy

Drew350b
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Drew350b » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:06 pm

I was already plan on going through the transmission, if I have the machine tore down that far I’m gonna go through everything .

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:14 am

Hats off to you, that is the way to do them, then you know what you have.
Lavoy

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:56 am

Drew350b wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:41 pm
So I can use the winch while using reverse, now winch only works with reverser in forward And the transmission in a gear or neutral
Okay... I learned something there I suppose. The only winches we had were all hydraulically driven and we never had any issues with them. I was never around one on any of our 350, 400G, 450 fleet that worked mechanically through the transmission. We only had a few machines that small with winches on them. Our larger crawlers had the old Cat winches for operating the old cable pan scrapers. We had several of those around.

Your ability to put reverse in a 350 is very possible but will require an entire shaft change as well as the associated gears and I'm not certain on the shifter itself. I have slept since I was last inside one of them. I know the shift gate will have to be either modified or changed. It may be simpler for you to find a complete transmission with reverse already in it. Then rebuild it if it needs it. Just a thought.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Drew350b
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Drew350b » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:19 pm

Well of I can come across parts with out a lot of effort or a ton of money I would do it, but if I don’t I won’t loose any sleep over it either. Just would be nice to have and I gues now would be the time to do it.