Track adjuster grease nipple (Zerk)

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Gumboot
MC crawler
MC crawler

Track adjuster grease nipple (Zerk)

Post by Gumboot » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Slack track on JD 350. Has an unusual grease fitting, 1 1/2"-2" long, two sets of threads with a machined groove in between them, and a tapered end, somewhat like a brake bleed nipple. Amazon sells them as 2S5925. Now the question; do you have to undo them to allow grease to flow into the ram?
Removing it completely has shown grease to go through OK, but not mounted.Thanks. Gumboot.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Track adjuster grease nipple (Zerk)

Post by original possum » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:34 am

That fitting is for a Caterpillar. You should see two ports on the front of the tensioner. One is a 1/4" NPT grease fitting and the other 1/2" NC "setscrew" (which has a locknut on it and a ball under it). If the fitting has 1/2" NC threads then you need to use the other one with a grease fitting. Of course, it is also possible the tensioner is frozen.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Gumboot
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Gumboot » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Thanks for reply,(original possum). The other adjuster, still original, is as you describe, the problem one was an aftermarket replacement five years ago. Looks as if I have ended up with the wrong adjuster, that happens to fit a 350. yes, I suspect the ram is frozen, as using the boom hydraulics wouldn't shift it. Now I have to figure out how to remove it without releasing the grease pressure. Thanks for replying. Gumboot

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:29 am

I don't believe you have to open the zerk to adjust the tension only to release it. If you have that out and still cannot collapse it, it's probably ruined and I'd just cut it out and get the correct one.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T