350C ENGINE OIL PAN DRAIN PLUG STRIPPED

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
TwistedGrip
MC crawler
MC crawler

350C ENGINE OIL PAN DRAIN PLUG STRIPPED

Post by TwistedGrip » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Good afternoon everyone.
I FINALLY got the little 350C back together, filled everything with oil, started and checked for leaks (had a few), bled lines, allowed engine to get warm and went to change the engine oil and stumbled headlong into a problem. When I pulled the engine to do this repair I didn't bother to drain the oil. I've had the engine basically in my lap but never unscrewed the drain plug. Well... when I did remove the engine oil drain plug from the rear center of the oil pan most of the threads came out with the plug. It was somewhat tough to get broke loose but not abnormally. I did notice there was not a seal washer to be found but laid everything aside while the oil drained and I got everything gathered up for the reassembly. This is when I noticed the drain plug threads appeared to be stripped. I crawled back under the tractor and sure enough the internal threads are in horrible shape. Question is this... Is there a relatively easy fix for this or am I looking at pulling the oil pan on the engine as I DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT!!! I'm even pondering a rubber "swell plug" before I pull the pans. I'm all ears
Thanks in advance
Perry B

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350C ENGINE OIL PAN DRAIN PLUG STRIPPED

Post by Jim B » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:13 pm

You can try running a tap in it to try cleaning up the threads and put a new plug with seal washer in. JD Specs say the 350c plug is 7/8" - 20 TPI. You might try tapping it over size. Some Cummins and likely other engines, maybe some JDs, used a 1" -18 TPI plug. Lavoy may know of another good repair, send him an email. I would be leery of using a rubber swell plug, I've heard of them failing. Others will be along with ideas and may have had to make the same repair.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:49 am

2 thoughts. Tap oversize for a larger plug, or bore and tap the existing plug for a smaller pipe plug, and then JB Weld the original plug in place. If all else fails, I think there is enough room to pull the pan with the engine installed.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:57 am

I think if the pan can be removed "easily", I would cut out the original plug hole and install a good hole from another pan. I also wouldn't use an expansion plug. Wouldn't trust it and chance ruining the engine form oil draining out.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:12 am

Don't use a helicoil.... use this https://www.timesert.com/. Or, tap for oversize plug as others have suggested.
450C Track Loader
291457T