450C Brake Band Inspection

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Believer
MC crawler
MC crawler

450C Brake Band Inspection

Post by Believer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:22 am

How does one inspect the brake band on a 450C. I have tech manual but it does not explain this. I'm having steering problems on one side. Thanks.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450C Brake Band Inspection

Post by Jim B » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:47 pm

From your past posts, it sounded like you found a problem with the valve, or linkage, not releasing the brake band. It sounds like you fixed that. Is everything moving now? You have wet (oil filled) steering clutch and brake compartments, correct? Did you do all the initial mechanical adjustments to the steering and brakes as called out in the manual when you made those repairs? I don't see how you are going to be able to see anything as far as how the band looks with it under oil. If you did all those things and the adjustments were able to be made as called for, I think you are going to need to remove the brake band to see if it was damaged when the linkage was stuck, as your first post said it was. Just my thoughts, someone else may have a different idea.

Believer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Believer » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:51 am

Adjustments per the technical manual have failed to resolve the steering problem. I'm guessing it is a worn brake band. I cannot find out how to get at the brake band, i.e., what I need to take apart. Thanks.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:24 am

The following locations are from the 450B manual (TM1033) in the link I gave you in an earlier post, I don't have 450C manual, but similar info should be in the 450C manual, just might be under different headings. In the general section (Section 10) near the front of the manual you should find Separation (Group 25) and in that Removing and Installing Steering Clutches. There is also more info in the Steering and Brakes section (Section 60). Basically you have to remove the fuel tank, hydraulic reservoir, battery box, and seat (i.e. rear tank unit) to have access to remove the steering clutch covers for access to remove the clutch and brake.

Just to confirm, do you have technical manual TM1102, which is the correct manual for a 450C, or are you using the 450B or some other manual?

Believer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Believer » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:54 am

I'm away from the house for a couple days so I'll check which tech manual I have when I get back. Thanks for info, very helpful.

rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by rufustoad » Mon May 04, 2020 7:03 pm

I just replaced both of mine. Found one side way gone and grinding metal. These adjustments are really time consuming and you need 2 people. When you pull the top plate off you will need to remove the brake adjuster then roll the liner out to see the actual pad.
Good luck
God Bless
Todd