450? Or 450b?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Screamin Jim
40C crawler
40C crawler

450? Or 450b?

Post by Screamin Jim » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:45 am

Hi guys. I’m a little confused about the model of my recently acquired crawler loader. Behind my right leg is a tag that reads Type-T5E3M Serial-111092T
On the engine block beside the starter it says Type M53TE Serial-168824T
My next question is, the machine has the filler cap behind the drive sprocket, that you use a 1/2” ratchet Without a socket to open. Does this always mean it’s a wet steering clutch? The machine does nothing when I try to steer right. The linkage appears to be intact. Please tell me to just add fluid, and uh, is that 80w90?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450? Or 450b?

Post by B Town » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:10 am

Hello.

Under the “Board Index” there is a tab “John Deere crawler FAQ’s”. If you click that section, there is a SN thread for 450’s. It is 2-3 threads down.

It appears your machine is a 450 Straight. 1970.

Steering clutches are dry. The plug you have described is most likely the final drive fill. Follow the manuals instruction for steering adjustments , if that doesn’t solve the steering you are likely looking at a tear down and repair.

Best regards,
Bruce

Screamin Jim
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Screamin Jim » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Thank you for your help. I’ll check it out.
Am I to assume that the engine is from a later model because of the higher serial numbers?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:42 pm

SN on engine doesn’t correspond to SN of crawler. They are mutually exclusive. And as far as I know, no one has or knows the significance of the engine SN’s (regarding year of manufacturing).

Screamin Jim
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Screamin Jim » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks for the great info. I just got the 450 a few days ago so lots of questions. At least now I know it’s a 1970, straight 450

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 pm

Welcome to the board.

Bruce got the year and other info for you. For what its worth, I'll add the breakdown of the rest of the serial number to what he gave you.

Machine serial number breakdown using the 450 Introduction from the JD parts Catalog:

SN = serial number
T = Tractor
5 = JD450
E = Crawler loader
3 = Diesel
M = Transmission (HLR)

Serial number: 111092 (This number falls in the 1970 build range using the serial number list on this site’s FAQ board)

T= (Build location) John Deere Dubuque Works

This serial number is a 1970 straight 450 crawler loader with a diesel engine and HLR transmission.

There is a list of John Deere manuals by model, compiled by Stan Disbrow, on the FAQ Board as well. It should be about the 17th or 18th post down. You should get the Operator's and service manuals if you don't have them. The operator's manual will help with fill points, lubricants, adjustments and normal service items. The service manual of course goes deeper into diagnosis and repairs. Contact Lavoy (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) and he should be able to set you up with manuals through his store. You can purchase parts catalogs or use the on line ones at https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... anguage=19.

Best regards,
Jim

Screamin Jim
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Screamin Jim » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:43 pm

Thanks Jim. This is great information. I was given the machine in exchange for a small demolition job and I am very interested in getting it fully operational. At this point the only problem I can find is it not steering to the right, besides a few minor leaks. I’ll definitely be checking out the manuals.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:19 am

Not turning to the right can be an issue with the right clutch and brake, or it can be the left track not driving (left clutch slipping or something broken on that side). If you push against something will both tracks slip/spin?

Screamin Jim
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Screamin Jim » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:05 am

I haven’t tried to push against anything yet but I’ll try it. It seems to have a ton of power, should I put it in a higher gear to test this at low rpm? I’ve literally only operated it for about 200’ and loaded it on the trailer and unloaded it.
===================================================
Ok so when I push, both track just keep on digging. This leads me to believe I need to check out that right side steering clutch. I guess all that hydraulic oil I just put in has to come back out now and remove that tank to access the clutch eh?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:27 pm

When both tracks were spinning did you pull on the right steering lever? If so did the right track stop? If it did, may be doing the adjustments will fix it. If it did not stop, it still might be adjustment but the odds lowered a bit in my mind. Get the manuals and check adjustments first. Yes it is likely you will have to pull the hydraulic tank, seat, fuel tank, and maybe battery box off if you have to really get into it, along with pulling the final drive, depending what is wrong.

Screamin Jim
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Screamin Jim » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:54 pm

No, I didn’t try to turn while under load but I’m going to go try again. The old timer I got the machine from is looking for a service manual so I’ll wait and see how that goes. In the meantime I’m hoping to pick a few brains and get me goin in the right direction and so far you,Bruce and Lavoy have been great.
___________________________________________________Yes the right track stops under load while pulling the right lever.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:34 am

Since the right track stopped turning when you pulled the lever, it indicates the right steering clutch is disengaging. Did the left track continue turning when the right lever was pulled and right track stopped? If the left track kept turning it indicates a problem with the right brake, maybe a proper adjustment will fix it. If the left track stopped turning you have a problem with the left side clutch or drive components, the left side has to drive to make a right turn.

Often when traveling on easy going (not pushing or otherwise loaded) a crawler will not turn (or will turn very gradually over a long distance) by disengaging a steering clutch alone, brake application is needed to further slow that track. This is why I suggested checking the clutches while pushing against something to load them. You can tell it the clutch disengages even if the brake isn't working.

Also apparently I wasn't clear when I told you about Stan's post of manuals, I apologize for the misunderstanding. Stan's list is a guide to the publication number needed, not a library of the manuals one can view. For your straight 450 crawler loader you need John Deere service manual publication # SM2064. I don't know of a copy of that manual being posted anywhere to use for free, a lot of people have searched for a copy with no luck. Lavoy sells manuals from his store and likely can help you with that one.

Screamin Jim
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Screamin Jim » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 am

Mornin. Yes the left track continued travelling. Ok so now I’m looking at a brake adjustment not a clutch. That sounds like a bonus. I will definitely be getting a service manual if this one doesn’t turn up. I was just hoping I could find it at my fingertips.
I know it doesn’t help those that are in the business of selling manuals but a place we could all share our manuals for free would be the next level.
I certainly do appreciate the help I am getting here though and will now go to crawler faq’s and you tube to see if someone has posted an answer to how to da brake adjustment.
Thanks once again Jim u have been a big help in narrowing the problem down. Now do u want to come to the Sunshine Coast and fix it for me lol. I know, then I wouldn’t learn anything. Cheers

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:31 am

If you have the steering booster cylinders under the seat, the procedure for adjusting the steering clutches and brakes will be the same as the ones in the 450B manual (which should be TM1033), that you posted you have. Check and adjust both sides as described in the procedure, in order and no shortcuts (because you don't see why they do that), and it should work on your machine. A 3/8" nut, placed between the lever stop and the stop on the floor boards, should hold the lever at about the right free play distance when you get to that part. If that doesn't get it you likely will have to go deeper into it.

Screamin Jim
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Screamin Jim » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:16 am

Thanks once again Jim. I did find one video on YouTube in reference to Doing a brake adjustment but will have to refer to the TM for the details.