350b loader - Radiator "without reverser"

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
GunnyJeeves
MC crawler
MC crawler

350b loader - Radiator "without reverser"

Post by GunnyJeeves » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:52 pm

I had been looking for a radiator forever for my 350b loader.

Finally found one from a 350b but it says there is no reverser.

I'm clueless but my worry is for an oil cooler. I've heard from someone I consider to be well-versed, that the radiator and high pressure oil cooler are made together.

Two question then:
1. Is that what the reverser is? Meaning that my loader likely needs a reverser and a dozer would not. I'm ok if that's the case as I can make an oil cooler from a dirt track transmission oil cooler.

2. Just factually, does the 350b loader have an oil cooler at all? I was not able to find one and I have the parts and service manuals... (made sense if the little bugger is made into the radiator... LOL)

So you can see my confusion.
Fun stuff though! Can't wait to get it running soon.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350b loader - Radiator "without reverser"

Post by Jim B » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:46 pm

The reverser is referring to the Forward - Reverse unit (aka Reverser) ahead of the 4 speed transmission. If a crawler (either dozer or loader) was equipped with a reverser, it had the radiator with the built-in cooler. Does your loader have a shift lever that controls forward and reverse, as well as one for a 4 speed gearbox? If so there was an oil cooler for the reverser built into the radiator. You should have two steel tubes or hoses that would be near the bottom of the radiator that carry the reverser oil. It is needed to cool the reverser oil. The part number is AT32087 for a reverser equipped crawler. The drawing of the radiator in the parts manual doesn't actually show the fitting ports, but the description lists the two different radiators. Info about the reverser, and its oil flow, is in the service manual and the parts manual has drawings of the tubes and hoses.

Have you checked with Lavoy (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) to see if he can help you find one? He sells parts for JD crawlers and may have a source for one. He also provides this site for us to use.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:13 am

If you have usable tanks why not re core I have used Detroit Radiator many times they are all over the US and very reasonable. they are a manufacturing facility JIM

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:50 am

His first post said the radiator had been stolen before he got the machine.

GunnyJeeves
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GunnyJeeves » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:06 am

Thanks for the information...

I think "Yes. My 350B has a reverser."

Sitting in the seat, I have a gated shifter in the middle (between legs as you sit) and on my left, is a lever that is very likely for forward / reverse, with a lockout in neutral. (A flap/lid with a gap closes and holds the lever in the middle.)

Dollars to doughnuts, this is a reverser. :D

Now my replacement radiator (yes the original radiator was stolen) does not have a reverser, so I have to make that work.

Any issue with my oil cooler approach? (Something like this used commonly in dirt track racing.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tru-Cool-Max-4 ... SwiSZbThWC

I was worried about pressure before, but if this is a cooler for the reverser, is that lower pressure than the 2250 PSI of the hydraulic hoses? Was I worried for nothing?

And to close the loop completely, could the reverser cooler be skipped? (Long enough to get it loaded on a truck... Yes... I'm sure of it.. But longer than that, I don't know.)

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:51 am

This is just terminology but to help you out here. The radiators do not have reversers. They either have an oil cooler built in, or they do not have an oil cooler built in. The radiator for a machine with a reverser transmission has an oil cooler built into the radiator. The radiator for a machine without a reverser transmission does not have an oil cooler built into it. No you do not want to be running it without an oil cooler for the reverser oil beyond loading it and unloading at home. Be sure you loop the hoses to make a complete circuit, before starting it.

So; Your replacement radiator does not have an oil cooler built into it. While not ideal the cooler you are showing may work, and likely others have done similar. You should check to see that it at least meets the flow and pressure for the crawler. That information (pressure at least) should be in the John Deere Service Manual (SM1032) for your 350B, I don't have a copy so can't tell you what page it is on. And yes it will be lower than 2250 psi, much lower. The tubes that carried the oil between the reverser and oil cooler should still be in place, so you will have a size reference for flow purposes, and you will need to hook to those to your add on cooler.

The other draw back to such on a crawler can be trapping of dust and debris between the add-on cooler and the radiator. You will need to be aware of that possibility and clean them regularly to avoid overheating the motor and/or reverser.

It might help to point you to information if you post would the publication numbers of the manuals you have, and publisher if not John Deere.

GunnyJeeves
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GunnyJeeves » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:40 am

That's great info. Thanks!

As I mentioned with the history on this one, it was bought for $1500 due to the radiator and alternator being basically hacked off and stolen.

It was otherwise in good condition at 966 hours, good fluids, and had been one of those "farm-pond-purchases" that was bought, used hard initially 20 years ago, then kept in/around the barn as needed for the past several years. As it was the not-needed equipment and I think the thieves took ALL of the poor guy's radiators and alternators from his tractors, he was ready to scrap it and I got it for the price mentioned.

It's taken from then (Nov "ish" of 2019) until now to find a used radiator, with three "shade-tree" mechanic false starts...
* First --> $500 turned out to be a 45 radiator... no good. Won't fit.
* Second --> $1000 ish (so another $500) and the guy ran off with my Shade-tree mechanic's money...
So I am about $3000 or so into the machine (including the prices to move it) so far.

We'll see how it goes. All I have done so far is cut-off the giving of any money to the shade-tree mechanic... Instead I will provide parts and the like and bring them if he is ready to work on it. If not, and I collect the full jenga set? I'll send a rollback to take it to an actual mechanic shop to put them all on.

I appreciate a shade-tree mechanic for what they are, and it is a great way to save a ton of money, or try something that "might work". In this case, I'm not mad at mine, but I can manage the risks and have plenty of room to store the hoses, radiator, new ignition, etc and wait him out. When he is ready to work on it, I will bring them all over and stay with him as it is fixed... load it up and be off to my land.

If the repairs I make can make this thing last a few months on my property, I saved thousands vs renting something similar... or paying someone to do the clearing. Running, it would likely sell for more than I had in it also when I am done. (And $1000 ish for a new, correct radiator with the cooler built in would be worth it at that point.)

Right now it is just a shell that "SHOULD WORK"... I'm at the point now because of time that I am looking at cranking it even if I need to loop the oil lines and get a 5 gallon bucket with water and a hose running through the engine water pump.

GunnyJeeves
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GunnyJeeves » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:03 pm

Found this.

https://www.deere.com/assets/pdfs/commo ... r-350b.pdf

I believe that if I plan for 150 PSI I am fine. Correct?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:27 pm

Just for information...it is always good to post your location, someone may well be nearby with parts available that you need..
access your profile in the drop down login box to add location..

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:31 pm

That may be ok, but you might want to allow for a bit of margin. Not to sound like a broken record but usually the service/tech manuals have specs on pressures seen at the oil cooler inlet and outlet (at least the 450 ones I have do). They are likely to be less than the highest system pressure unless there is a malfunction.

GunnyJeeves
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by GunnyJeeves » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:09 pm

Thanks. It looks like most of the racing oil coolers are basically all set for 300 psi, and that spec sheet I found said that 150 psi or 120 psi were the upper limit for a 350b.

If I try to get in/out pipes similar to the existing hoses, I think I got it from both pressure and flow side.