450C Back Hoe Attachment Mount

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rufustoad
430 crawler
430 crawler

450C Back Hoe Attachment Mount

Post by rufustoad » Mon May 04, 2020 7:37 pm

Hi All,
Looking for an idea to re-tap the lower mount bolt holes that mounts the backhoe attachment plate on the rear of the tractor. On one side the mounts pulled away and pulled the bolts with it. The last 1/4 of the threads are still there (inner most part) but rest is wallowed out. The holes are large enough that I can not tap them over sized (say 1-1/8") and if I go even bigger I would be afraid of really weakening the casting so I am contemplating welding them smaller then tapping them out back to original size 1" but I am not really sure if it would damage this casting or make it weaker. This is a really bad JD design and I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with this issue??
God Bless
Todd

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: 450C Back Hoe Attachment Mount

Post by Hurlbutt » Tue May 05, 2020 5:35 am

If you try welding the hole under size to re-drill and tap, you may want to put a plug into the bore that wont be eaten away by the welding to give a surface you can easily work with (not lumpy). A carbon plug could help but could cause increased carbon at the surface but that would be cut away. It would require short plugs of increasing lengths for welding access also.
Bill