Steering brake adjustment rod

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Screamin Jim
40C crawler
40C crawler

Steering brake adjustment rod

Post by Screamin Jim » Wed May 06, 2020 10:59 am

I’m not sure where I’m looking, I’m at step 5 of my steering brake adjustment. It says to back off the lock nut on steering rod yolk, adjusting until the pin drops in. I’m looking but not seeing the “pin”

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Steering brake adjustment rod

Post by Jim B » Wed May 06, 2020 4:37 pm

This is Step 5 in the 450B manual, which I think you are using based on a previous post. 5. With brake pedal back against stop, loosen jam nuts and adjust yokes on brake rods so that the pin will just slip in. Retighten the jam nuts.

As I read it, that is referring to the brake rods from the foot pedal shaft levers, not steering rod yoke. The adjustable yokes are on the pedal shaft ends of those rods. The levers remain blocked up during this step and it is supposed to time and balance the foot brake rods so the brakes apply evenly when you step on the pedal.

Screamin Jim
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: Steering brake adjustment rod

Post by Screamin Jim » Sun May 10, 2020 12:06 am

Thanks Jim. I wasn’t clear on “the pin dropping in” it helps when you’re looking at the right rod.
I’m going to try again. I had it going both directions so I’m Getting there. I’ll pay better attention when I’m adjusting the yolk on the rod. Also,It seemed like when I was at the stage of backing the brake band adjustment screw up 3 detents, it was more than the 1-1/4 turns. I’ll mark it this time to be sure. Finishing in the detent is the goal though correct.