Possible water pump issue, JD450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Possible water pump issue, JD450

Post by Cle Elum John » Sat May 09, 2020 2:35 pm

I noticed that sometimes when shutting down the engine there is loud rattle coming from the front of the engine just as it is coming to a stop. I am thinking it is the water pump. It sounds like rattling sheet metal. No noise when running. There is about 1/4 of an inch play at the fan tip. Water pump is not leaking. Engine temp is fine. Fan to pulley bolts are tight. Couple of questions: How much play at the fan tip is typical on a good pump? Can I pull the pump without taking the nose and radiator off? Should I wait until it fails or preemptively change it out? Is there anything else on the front of the engine I should be looking at as a cause? It does not sound like the hydraulic pump.

Everything else is working well so I want to let it earn it's keep before putting it back in the shop.

Any thoughts?
John
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Possible water pump issue, JD450

Post by Jim B » Sat May 09, 2020 5:25 pm

Ideally no play should be seen, 1/4" means it needs to be fixed now. Waiting until it leaks is a good way to add radiator repair and fan replacement to the water pump repair project. Its not fun but you can get it without taking the nose and radiator off. Unbolt the fan and remove it before pulling the water pump.

Good time to change fan belts, check hydraulic pump drive, and replace all the coolant hoses.

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Sun May 10, 2020 6:51 am

Agree with Jim having waited myself. Didn't trash the radiator but did trash the fan blade. Fix it now. Little suggestion if you do remove the nose. Pull the pump coupling back and put extra fan belts in before reconnecting pump. I zip tied them out of the way until needed.
450C Track Loader
291457T

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Sun May 10, 2020 9:48 am

It sounds like there are three recommendations. Reading between the lines, take the nose off. Replace all soft parts. Do it now.

I will have to set up the scaffold to remove the nose and radiators. Probably save more time in the long run.

Another question:. Any service on the radiators that should be done since they will be accessible?

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 am

By the way, stashing a couple of spare belts is a great idea.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun May 10, 2020 11:24 am

Taking the nose of is up to you. I did my water pump, pulled the pump drive, changed hoses, and changed the belt on my 450E without pulling the nose or radiator. If you pull the nose it would be the time to have a radiator shop clean and check the radiator if it has been running warm at all.

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Mon May 11, 2020 8:39 am

It has been running cool. I will not be able to take a look at it until mid week. Getting the fan bolts off looks like the biggest challenge. I need to come up with a plan.

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Tue May 12, 2020 12:30 pm

Another question: It looks like the parts for a rebuild will be available and by Deere standards relatively cheap. The question is rebuild it or buy the assembly. I have a bearing press and it looks straight forward to rebuild. I have asked Lavoy to price it both ways.

Any opinions?
John

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue May 12, 2020 1:15 pm

I rebuilt mine. If you have a press and go easy, measure the fan hub location before you start so you can put it back to the same distance, and you should be fine if you want to do that. Check with Lavoy to see if his kit has the tool to install the seal. I think most kits come with a plastic/nylon one now

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue May 12, 2020 1:55 pm

The reason I quit doing them myself is impellors are not available for the 2 cylinders, and they are never good enough to just run the way they are.,
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com