450C intermittent start issues then nothing

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
slabguy
420 crawler
420 crawler

450C intermittent start issues then nothing

Post by slabguy » Thu May 14, 2020 8:16 am

I have a 450c and since I've had it the starter button would not do anything for maybe 5-15 times then would eventually engage the starter and the machine would start right up. Every time I pushed the starter button and it wouldn't start the machine, I could see the ammeter drop slightly. That changed last week and the starter button wouldn't do anything and I wasn't seeing any drop on the ammeter. I had someone jump from solenoid to starter with a screwdriver to get it going and it fired right up. I assumed bad solenoid. I replaced the solenoid yesterday and it didn't change anything. Battery is charged and I pulled the instrument panel to test volts on the back of starter button. It is getting 12v through it when depressed. I didn't have anyone with me yesterday so I couldn't test 12v to the solenoid but I assume it is getting 12v unless there is a wire break somewhere. Any ideas on what to try next? Thanks.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450C intermittent start issues then nothing

Post by Jim B » Thu May 14, 2020 8:46 am

Check your service manual wiring schematic, I think it has to go through a neutral safety switch on the transmission linkage. Try wiggling the HLR lever.
That may also mean you should tighten up and adjust the transmission linkages by the book. Check that the safety flip gate will work when in neutral after adjustment, if not you may need to tweak the linkage a bit more.

slabguy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by slabguy » Thu May 14, 2020 9:06 am

Thanks Jim. I'll give that a shot. I have installed the correct H-L-R plate with flip gate since the accident. That could be what is causing this since it's holding that shifter in 1 location now.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:36 am

i found that happening on a friends 2010, finally got tired of issues and took starter off ad checked all connections...found one loose enough to turn the connector just a bit....tightened it and no problems since.....keep it simple...check em all..