350B Reverser will not go in forward

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
cabbott
MC crawler
MC crawler

350B Reverser will not go in forward

Post by cabbott » Sun May 17, 2020 3:18 pm

Does anyone have some experience with 350B reversers. I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1973 350B.I had to tare down the reverser to replace the reverser clutches. In the process I thought I had to tare down the piston to get clutches installed. I tore down the forward reverser piston and re-assembled with what I though was no issues encountered on reassembly, and then learned I did not have to tare down the piston. So the reverse piston was not disassembled. When I first started the engine with the reverser coupled to it, it went into forward, but then quit going in shortly there after. I have the service manual and have made the pressure check for the lube regulating valve check and it reads 110 PSI in reverse and about 80 in forward with diesel engine at about 800 rpm. When I rev the engine to 1800 rpm the forward reverser pressure reading comes up to 110. I have cycled the clutch and it stops the final drive when in reverse. The forward - reverse control arm is going to the stops for forward and reverse and the detents for forward, neutral, and reverse is clearly detectable . If anyone has some suggestions on other checks or adjustments I would appreciate them.
What I'm thinking is that I messed up the piston ring when I tore down the forward reverser and that means I have to take everything apart again. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Chester

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B Reverser will not go in forward

Post by gregjo1948 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:09 am

Your explanation of what's going on kinda lost me. Does it move in reverse as it should? Does it move forward only when you rev it up?
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

cabbott
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by cabbott » Mon May 18, 2020 8:57 am

It currently will move the drive train in reverse and drive train stops when in neutral. The clutch will also stop it when in reverse. But when shifted into forward position the drive train will not move in the forward direction. Hope this clarifies this issue.
Thanks Chester

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon May 18, 2020 4:21 pm

I am reading this as the crawler is not fully assembled and moving around on its tracks. If it stops or doesn't move in forward when just turning the unloaded drive train (as in as far as the mounted sprockets); I think you have something major wrong and need to go back through it.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:51 am

cabbott wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:57 am
It currently will move the drive train in reverse and drive train stops when in neutral. The clutch will also stop it when in reverse. But when shifted into forward position the drive train will not move in the forward direction. Hope this clarifies this issue.
Thanks Chester
The "clutch", when depressed, is a means to stop the fluid flow to the reverser. When depressed it will stop the machine movement in both directions. The reverser shift lever , when in neural, will also stop the machine in both directions. When in forward or backward position, the fluid flows to the appropriate reverser drive in the reverser. If you're not able to move forward, you're forward drive in the reverser is faulty or perhaps you have a linkage adjustment problem. If you're adjustment isn't allowing the fluid to flow to the reverser forward drive, you won't move forward. Maybe you have a blockage in the fluid flow.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue May 19, 2020 8:18 am

Jim B wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:21 pm
I am reading this as the crawler is not fully assembled and moving around on its tracks. If it stops or doesn't move in forward when just turning the unloaded drive train (as in as far as the mounted sprockets); I think you have something major wrong and need to go back through it.
I agree with Jim on this. Unfortunately you are going to have to go back inside of this reverser. You have either torn a piston sealing ring or broken one of the steel sealing rings on the center manifold between the two clutch packs. The only other possibility is an O-ring on one of the steel tubes that connects the valve body to the center manifold. However if it were that then you should still have enough flow to allow a little motion while in the forward position on the reverser. One other thing to check while you have it back out would be the valve body itself. Make sure it doesn't have a piece of debris hung in the forward flow passages. I really think you will find a bad sealing ring. Either one or a combination of the rubber or steel rings.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Are you using the linkage to shift from R N F ? Or are you shifting by pushing the lever on the reverser itself?

I reassembled a B model and my cab was moved forward too much, so my linkage was out of adjustment upon reassembly...could be simple.

Jason