350B NO GO

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Coolhand
MC crawler
MC crawler

350B NO GO

Post by Coolhand » Wed May 20, 2020 10:18 am

I am a literally a shade tree wanta be. So no major stuff for now. I have changed all fluids and filters, and all looked good. On very flat ground forward gear, 1 is slow, 2 is sometimes, 3,4 is no go. I put the reverser in forward gear and 1st gear is slow going on flat ground, any little slope it will slow down even to a complete stop. Second gear is even worse. 3 and 4th gears engage, I can see and feel the tracks move half inch forward and stop. It wants to go but does not get the power.
When I put it in reverse, on flat ground, 2nd, 3 and 4th gears same, engage but no movement. 1st gear had some go and will clime a mole hill with some switching between forward and reverse.
Noise: forward and all gears, no noise. Reverse and all gears and transmission neutral, a loud whining noise coming from the reverser.
My engine is at good RPM's, about half. It starts and runs good and key off. Engine does not "bog down" and governor kick in. No smoke, runs clean. The steering and foot brakes are engaging and disengaging normally. I really don't think my breaks are slowing me down.
I have not done pressure test on the reverser yet. The guy before me said it worked great and drove it around on flat ground with a small log in the bucket, for what its worth. They loaded it on a big trailer, no problems. I tried to load it on same trailer and had to be pushed on. Getting it off, no problems. I can drive it down hill in 3 and 4th gears. All gears are engaging and wanting to go.
My guess is the reverser pressure regulators are stuck in open or closed positions and will not allow pressure to build up in them. They may need to be cleaned out. How hard is this? I know where they are located and understand there are some components behind the bolts. If I just loosen them a little and let some the oil flow out, might work?
Thanks again for all your help.
Deere in the headlights :shock:
1973 JD 350B

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 350B NO GO

Post by Jim B » Wed May 20, 2020 10:39 am

Before you start checking things I suggest you contact Lavoy and get a set of manuals for it, if you don't have them. Read and study them, do the suggested tests; then check what is indicated. When you changed the filters did you remove and clean the element inside the transmission case? What did you use for oil in the reverser/transmission when you changed it? Are the steering clutch compartments clean and dry?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed May 20, 2020 1:43 pm

I will second the manuals, whether you get them from me or not, no sense trying anything without them.
I would also say the chance of a stuck bypass is near zero, that oil is filtered, and it just really doesn't happen. It may definitely be a low pressure issue, but could be bad pump, o-ring or something else leaking internally, clutches shot, etc.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Coolhand
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Coolhand » Tue May 26, 2020 7:23 am

I have a set of manuals. Thanks for the information.
1973 JD 350B

Coolhand
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Coolhand » Sat May 30, 2020 1:36 pm

so I read the manuals and did the valve pressure test #1, and got 50 psi, (110-130 psi) and did test #3 and got 22 psi (20-30 psi). Did not do test #2 to the oil cooler. On test #1 valve test, at all RPM's it stayed at 50 psi and dipped temporarily only when shifting from forward to reverse and back.
The dip sticks may be switched and it may be a little low on fluid. (See other post). If i did overfill by a quart, or more what damage could happen. Last owner said he " fill it up to the top" .
put the pressure gauge back on, top pressure in all gears and forward and reverse was 50 psi. Added 2 more quarts of fluid and got it to the top fill mark.
1973 JD 350B