Straight 450 steering issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
450user
420 crawler
420 crawler

Straight 450 steering issue

Post by 450user » Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 am

Hello everyone

On my machine, R/O tractor oil was inadvertently put into the clutch housings. Believing the tractor had wet clutches, instead of dry clutches. Although one side (left) came back to life after both housings were flushed out with Kerozene, the other has very little steering capability. Does anyone have a remedy to help this situation? Will it slowly start to steer with use? The left side needing adjustment, is the one that came back to life. The other was operation just fine up till the oil was put in and now has very little steering control. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!

JM, Lyons NY

:roll:

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Straight 450 steering issue

Post by Jim B » Fri May 22, 2020 6:05 am

Just for the record. I have to believe R/O oil is not the right oil for any wet clutches. It appears to just be a hydraulic oil with rust and oxidization inhibitors from what I see of several brands. R/O might get by in your 450 hydraulics but it should not be anywhere else in your machine unless it specifies it meets J20C. To replace John Deere's 303 or Hy-Gard; the fluid needs to meet the current John Deere spec J20C ( Hy-Gard or an equivalent) for wet clutches, reversers, etc., or any other place a manual specified JD303 (303 was a JD formula using sperm whale oil which has not been available since the Endangered Species Act came about in the early 1970's, so 303 cannot exist anymore - regardless of what some are labelled).

That said the only true and lasting fix/repair, in my opinion, is a teardown and replacement of the contaminated clutch discs and brake bands. Maybe, they will work better after running a while. Maybe, some have had some luck dumping something for a degreaser, other than kerosene (its still an oil), in the housings to cut the R/O. Either way the components are oil soaked and won't come totally clean and still may slip when hot and really working the machine. JMHO
Jim

450user
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 450user » Fri May 22, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of a cleaner/degreaser as am alternative to a complete tear-down. In using the machine this morning for approx. 2 hours, one side does steer but the other is quite weak. Since both chambers were filled with the oil, and drained and flushed, I thought that maybe there is a slight chance that might work. It would be worth a try,other than the obvious. Question is, what should I use that won't hurt anything??

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri May 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Kerosene is really no better than the oil, any petroleum product ruins steering clutches. Nothing will remove the embedded oil in the steering clutches and brake bands, only whats on the surface. It will steer okay til the clutches get hot and "boil" the embedded oil to the surface.
Only fix is to replace clutches and brake bands, all else is a band aid until you replace the clutches.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

450user
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 450user » Fri May 22, 2020 8:48 pm

So what needs to be replaced? Just the steer bands?

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Fri May 22, 2020 10:31 pm

Any fiber material that would have absorbed the petroleum products. Mainly the brake bands and clutch disks.
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK