What costs to expect for repairs

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
NoFly
MC crawler
MC crawler

What costs to expect for repairs

Post by NoFly » Sun May 24, 2020 10:13 pm

Hello everyone,

New to the group, as well as heavy equipment, so thanks for the add..

My father-in-law has a JD350B "shuttle" and power assist steering. He's come into some issues with the left track not driving under power, but instead Free-spinning from the power of the right track.

We spent a few weeks researching what could be wrong and thought we'd tackle this dinosaur ourself..

Well, since we spent a whole day accomplishing barely any progress, I believe it may be in his best interest to look at JD just repairing what we feel is the left final drive... But of course, it'll take pointing out the associated costs of equipment to accomplish this job, and then compare what it would cost from an experienced shop.

So, with that, I wanted to start a thread that others could ask what others have seen in associated costs of various repairs.

What my question is for all of you... What could be expected of a realistic cost to have both the final drive clutches replaced... Labor is really what I'm looking for, as I've been told the clutch/brake kit would be $1,200.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Plymouth, WI

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What costs to expect for repairs

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 25, 2020 7:11 am

No way Deere would be $1200 for for steering clutch parts, I would say closer to triple that at least, a dealer is not going to install aftermarket parts I doubt. Maybe if you buy from them, but they will won't be $600/side.
I would guess labor at Deere $3000-$5000. You are going to pay time and materials on a crawler that they dealer has no book for, and the 25 year old mechanic has never worked on before. So at $120/hour, it's $1000/day minimum.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com