450C, No drive on right side, no fluid pressure

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
BigD
MC crawler
MC crawler

450C, No drive on right side, no fluid pressure

Post by BigD » Wed May 27, 2020 12:34 pm

I dont think this is a steering clutch problem. I have no drive on the right side, when the hydraulic lines are disconnected inside the transmission there was pressure on one and you could hear a pump running, there was no pressure in the other line at all and no pump heard. Are there two seperate pumps, one for the right drive and one for the left? It also will not pull itself up a trailer to load, it will move on the ground with just the left side but going up the slightest incline it will not do it. We are lost at this point and need help.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450C, No drive on right side, no fluid pressure

Post by Jim B » Thu May 28, 2020 5:27 am

I always ask, just to confirm, does your serial number begin 450 C, a letter, then the 6 digit number? 450s have been often mislabeled, as far as the series, over the years and it makes a difference in information that applies. Also loader or dozer?

There is just one pump supplying oil for the steering clutches and HLR. 450C has wet steering clutches and likely is a common sump for transmission and steering clutches. Have you cleaned the transmission sump screen and changed the filter in front of the radiator? Is the transmission oil level correct?

Do you have the technical manual TM1102? The manual has diagnostic checks that will help pinpoint the probable cause(s). Did you do pressure checks or just open random lines? Without the info and results from those tests to narrow the issues; this could just be a lot of expensive guessing if parts are changed on the - It might be this - system of diagnosis and repair. Lavoy (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) can help you with manuals from his store, if you don't have them. You should have at least the Technical and operator's manuals. You can use the on line parts catalogs at https://www.deere.com/en/parts-and-service/parts/, or get a hard copy when you get the other two. Get the manuals and do the trouble shooting. You could have one or more problems. A bad engine clutch or weak pump should affect both sides the same. Could be plugged suction screen. Could be control valve issues in the system. Could be bad seals. What are you using for transmission and steering clutch oil/fluid?

You might want to add your general location to your profile. Sometimes someone might be near enough to give you a hand or know of other resources/parts in you general area.

Just my thoughts to start with.
Jim

BigD
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by BigD » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Thank you for replying Jim, ALL the fluids have been replaced and filters replaced and screen cleaned. The crawler now has the power to pull itself up any incline.
Though I still do not have drive on one side, the second I try to go forward and the track begins to go forward it just will not engage, you can see it attempting to for about 2 inches and then stops. At this point I am thinking steering pressure plate. I am located in Shell Lake Wisconsin. yes, I do have the manual.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:17 pm

Since the 450C has wet steering clutches they are applied by hydraulic pressure on a piston, not a conventional pressure plate set up. I would suggest checking all the adjustments and pressures of the steering system if you haven't. Beyond that it sounds like you are loosing pressure somewhere in that side's clutch oil system not building proper pressure to engage that steering clutch or the clutch discs them selves on that side have broken up. Steering valve problem, bad hose or steering clutch piston seals would be my first thoughts.

BigD
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by BigD » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:41 pm

Again, thanks Jim!!
The alternator does not show a charge. The alternator was removed and taken to a business to be rebuilt, they called me and said it’s charging fine. Using a meter on the alternator and battery it does NOT show a charge.
I can not find a separate regulator and the alternator does not have one on it?
Any ideas?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:59 pm

The regulator is mounted in the engine compartment on the right side above the starter on the cowl wall. If there, it is likely not functioning, if not there, then you have found your problem.