John deere 550 dozer help

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
cking1988.bk
MC crawler
MC crawler

John deere 550 dozer help

Post by cking1988.bk » Sun May 31, 2020 8:36 am

I have a late 70's 550 john deere dozer it goes fine in all the forwards gear but in reverse when I pull left or right brake the dozer stops and it also has trouble backing up hills any help appreciated on where to start looking.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: John deere 550 dozer help

Post by Jim B » Sun May 31, 2020 10:33 am

Welcome to the board. Your post on your 550 should be on the Late Models Board, which is for the 350 and later models. It will likely get moved over there.

Since it stops when you pull either steering lever when backing and does not like backing up hill, that to me heads back to the HLR. Sounds like you could have an issue with reverse in the HLR (low reverse pressure, bad seals, clutches going bad, etc.). Do you have the right Technical manual (TM1108 according to the JD tech info site) for your straight 550? First doing the adjustments and then the diagnostic tests by the manual is the best way to pinpoint the problem. Guessing, and the try this method, usually gets expensive for me. If you don't have the technical manual, Lavoy (owner of this site) has a shop and sells manuals and parts for many John Deere crawlers. You can contact him by email (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com).