JD 455G Loses Drive

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
trevelynzx
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 455G Loses Drive

Post by trevelynzx » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:10 am

Hey guys, lurking here for a bit doing some reading. I have a 455G (79?). Hoping to get some insight into a problem I'm having...

Yesterday after about an hour of working (stump removal, forward and reverse) the transmission stopped engaging after shifting. It was gradual - over the hour I noticed a growing lag time between when I shifted and when the tracks would engage. Affects both forward and reverse. Eventually it wouldn't move at all, so I parked it for the night.

This morning I came out, fired it up, and it worked normal for another 15 mins before I started to notice that same lag. Parked it in a better spot and shut it down.

This has happened in the past, and the band-aid has been to change the transmission oil filter. I plan to do that again today, but I think there's a bigger problem that should be addressed. Any insight on what that could be would be much appreciated.

Also note that the machine has good power and will spin the tracks under a load once they've actually engaged. Other hydraulics are good and the motor is strong.

I can take some video and post to YouTube if that would help diagnose!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 455G Loses Drive

Post by Jim B » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:38 am

When you say you changed the filter, are you referring to just changing the spin on filter or did you drain the transmission and clean the suction strainer as well? If you haven't cleaned that strainer you might want to and see what if anything is on it. I have experienced material plug/restrict screens and fall away after shut down for a time. If there is a lot of build up on and around the screen you likely have internal troubles developing. Beyond that dig the technical manuals out, go over adjustments then do the diagnostic tests. Run it to get it to where it is acting up before you test. What are you running for transmission oil in it?

I will admit to not having hands on a G, but I know the parts are too expensive to start guessing at. If you do not have the full set of manuals to go by, it should be your first investment in this case. Lavoy may be able to help you from his source if you do not have manuals.

trevelynzx
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by trevelynzx » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:15 pm

Thanks for the reply Jim B. I was talking about the spin filter which I did today with no change. i’m thinking i need to dump the trans fluid and check the sump screen. still not sure how it makes sense that it gets worse once it heats up.

i also noticed a slow hyrdo leak up front under the radiator. haven’t been able to turn the bolts holding the belly pan for a better look.

any advice on getting those bolts loose? they are big 24mm bolts. seem frozen. tried with a breaker bar but no luck. i don’t have an acetylene torch... might pick up a 1/2” impact driver.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:30 am

Hi,

My guess is that you have an issue with the oil itself. So, go to Deere and buy some actual Hy Gard and change the oil.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:45 am

I commented on the oil in your other post, if it is 15W40, it is wrong I believe. What does your Operator's manual tell you to use in the transmission?

"any advice on getting those bolts loose? they are big 24mm bolts. seem frozen. tried with a breaker bar but no luck. i don’t have an acetylene torch... might pick up a 1/2” impact driver."

By the manual for my 450E, M24 bolts get torqued to about 500 to 750 ft. lbs., depending on grade of the bolt. And some rusting to that which is possible and you may well need 3/4 drive tooling to start them. A good 1/2" air or electric impact might do it. Big toys need big tools. Be careful dropping belly pans, they are heavy , even more so it there is material built up in them.

If you don't have the Operator's and Technical manuals for your machine you need to get them. Here are the publication numbers for a 455G per the JD tech info site. If you need to get them check with Lavoy, he may be able to help you with manuals from his store, at a better price than JD.
Operator's Manual: OMT 163973
Technical Manuals: TM 1403 Testing and TM 1404 Repair (you need both)
Parts: PC2154 (Here is a link to the copy of it you can access and use on line, if you want, at jdparts.com https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... ment/61038

Jim