Oil and HLR filters

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Oil and HLR filters

Post by Cle Elum John » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:44 pm

I just changed engine oil and HLR filters on a 450(). Both had Wix 51243 filters. Being an aircraft mechanic I cut the filters and had a look at at the elements. The Hlr filter had some John Deere color paint chips on it. Does JD really paint the inside of the Hlr? I noticed some similar chips in the Hlr sump when I cleaned the screen a couple years ago. Is this normal?

There is a warning in the JD operating manual that only JD filters should be used because because they had bypass valves. The Wix filters do have a bypass valve. I was a little surprised that the Wix filter did not have a back flow valve but I never thought they do much good anyway. Is there really anything special about the JD filters or are they just trying to sell some product. The JD filters are suspiciously cheap for a quality product.

Any thoughts?
John
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Oil and HLR filters

Post by 77 Ford » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:43 am

My opinion it is much like oil, filters you buy today are much better than they were 40 years ago. I think any quality filter will do and I typically run Baldwin or Wix.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Jason37756
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jason37756 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:10 am

77 Ford wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:43 am
My opinion it is much like oil, filters you buy today are much better than they were 40 years ago. I think any quality filter will do and I typically run Baldwin or Wix.
Same here

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:44 pm

JD wants to sell their filters, oils, etc., just like automakers recommend their filters and oil. JD used those filters on a lot of their equipment and many times in more places than just for the engine oil. Volume can mean power prices. I doubt JD is spec'ing sub quality filters just so they can sell them cheap. I see nothing wrong with using other quality manufacturers' filters or the JD filters. I think you will find the reputable filter manufacturers' direct interchange filters will spec the same as John Deere's filter.

As for the paint chips, I don't think they paint the inside yellow. I do think paint chips have a way of getting to place one would prefer not to find them.

Cle Elum John
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Cle Elum John » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:17 pm

I will use a JD filter next time. It has to.be the only item JD sells that could possibly described as inexpensive. If the quality is there I shouldn't complain. I will open it up and see what's inside after it gets some time.
Reporting from the Peoples Republic of Washington State.