JD 350 Crawler Radiator Hose Placement?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
MikeSelby
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 350 Crawler Radiator Hose Placement?

Post by MikeSelby » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:12 am

I am hoping someone here can help!
The alternator on our JD 350 Crawler went out, destroying the belt, pulley, and fan. We removed the radiator to get it checked out and repaired and now we aren't positive on the hose placement to re-install it.
We replaced the old hoses with new (using the old ones to get the lengths right). Unfortunately, it seems like the old ones are too long for where we thought they went. I can't figure out a way to run one without the fan hitting it.
Does anyone have a picture or diagram on where the hoses go? Both the ones for the radiator and the two behind the fan blade (I'm assuming those two go from the water pump to the motor block??)
As you can tell, I am NOT a diesel mechanic, but we couldn't find anyone to work on it and had to try ourselves!
Thanks!! Mike

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: JD 350 Crawler Radiator Hose Placement?

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:09 pm

Maybe I am missing something, but there are only 2 radiator hoses, and the can only go 2 places. Are you asking about something different?
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

MikeSelby
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by MikeSelby » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:28 pm

There are two hoses that go from the water pump(?) to the side of the motor. I'm not sure what they are called.
They both sit behind the fan, one directly above the other on the top, but on the bottom (side of the motor) one sits a couple of inches closer to the back of the crawler. I thought the Top one went to the one closest to the front of the crawler, but now I'm not sure. Like an idiot, I didn't take a before pic!

I'm trying to figure out how to attach a photo...

MikeSelby
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by MikeSelby » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:33 pm

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... q1MIURVE91
This is the top, I'm thinking it's the water pump?

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... wyaIp9x75x
this is where they go on the side of the motor.

I'm sorry I couldn't figure out how to directly post pictures!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:53 pm

Mike,

I sent you a PM, check your private messages inbox. Will try to help you with your photos.

Jim

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:41 am

Sounds like oil cooler hoses I am thinking? Service manual might have pics of them.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:24 am

My thought too. I offered to post his pictures if he wants to email them to me, and he is looking to see if it does have a cooler as the parts catalog shows.

Jim

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:53 am

The two hoses you're referring to are the engine oil cooler lines. They will go from the water pump to the actual cooler underneath the engine oil filter. They should be fitted to steel tubes leading down from the pump to the cooler. Your radiator hoses should only go one way. That is assuming you had OEM hoses and not a flexible fits all hose. If they are the preformed OEM hoses then they should only go on one way. The top hose should be a simple 90 degree hose. The bottom hose is in a sort of "S" shape.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:03 pm

I apologize to Mike for the delay in posting his pictures. They landed in my spam folder and I missed the email.

Here they are now and has been posted, it is an engine with the oil cooler under the engine oil filter.

I do not think they were original on a straight 350 and are not shown in the on line parts book, that I could see. The engine oil coolers are shown for the B, C, and D models. Those have steel tubes with short hoses at each end. Mike, If yours has heater hoses full length, I would say it was add on. As for connections I would go top fitting on water pump to rear fitting on the cooler and lower fitting on water pump to forward fitting on the cooler.
Jim