JD 450C 3325 Winch issue

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
davidblackburn1
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD 450C 3325 Winch issue

Post by davidblackburn1 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:04 pm

Starting my own post on my particular issue with my 3325 Winch.

We got the machine back in November 2019. We have used the winch off and on without any issues. About once or twice a month.

A few days ago the winch worked on the first turn of logs for the day and than no longer free spooled or winch in on the next turn of logs. The brake still holds.

Today, We have replaced the winch hydraulic filter, drained all the old oil out and refilled the winch. Before refilling we removed the bottom right plate (facing the winch) and cleaned the pick up screen (per information from a couple of other posts on this forum). The pick up screen appeared to be highly plugged. We were able to clean it and reinstall it. The hydraulic oil was nasty that we drained out. We used a magnet to check for metal bits in the oil and only found the rusty scale in the oil. Everything is back together.

The winch function did not change (no free spool, no winch in and the brake is working)

I believe it is a rotary spool valve on this winch. When we move the handle in the drivers seat the front of the valve rotates. Down is winch in, Middle is locked and up is free spool (finally marked it by the lever with blue tape).

We have not yet tried taking pressure readings. However if we crack the line on the winch filter, there is no fluid being pumped with the lever in any of the positions.

Is the pto running full time or does the rotary valve somehow control this engagement as well)? It seems like the pump is not running at all when the Machine is running.

I do have the PDF version of the service manual and am reviewing the pressure tests that are show in the manual.

Thank you
Cat D2 Hyster Winch, Blade added Retired.
John Deere 450C Dozer, Winch, ROPS. Burned up in fire in Sept 2020.
John Deere 550G Dozer, Winch, Fairlead, Mann Brush Rack, Rops with cage

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 450C 3325 Winch issue

Post by Jim B » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:21 am

Winch drive should run all the time when in forward or neutral of the HLR, but not when in reverse. You should be able to see the shaft turning where it is exposed between the back of the crawler and front of the winch. If the shaft is turning, it sounds like you have lost pressure in the system which applies the wind in clutch and brake release cylinder.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Hello Sir,

Jim B has offered some very good advice. Looking under the rear of the crawler, up under the winch, can be pretty dirty. Clean this area well for visual access. There will be a internally splined coupler bxt the winch drive shaft and the winch input shaft. There should be a roll/spring pin in the coupler, the pin does not go through either shaft(IIRC). This pin is the keep the couple centered and prevent walking-off either shaft. Lots of things can go wrong here. The spring pin could be gone and the coupler could walk back off the winch drive ( drive will be turning but coupler will not). Coupler could walk forward off the input(coupler and winch drive turn but the input shaft will not be turning). If the coupler is centered, you need to look very closely to confirm the winch drive, coupler and input are all turning (the splines can be stripped on any or all these components and can be difficult to identify remember the coupler is internally splined and shafts are externally splined.

Hope this helps, Bruce

davidblackburn1
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by davidblackburn1 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:17 am

Thank you for the information and advice. It will be later in the week before I can get back up to the property to make use of this information. I will keep you posted on what we find.

slabguy
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by slabguy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:52 am

Mine had a similar issue. I pulled the filter screen off and could not get it cleaned sufficiently so I just replaced it. It's a pretty inexpensive part. I installed the new screen, new fluid, and the winch worked fine after that. Someone also made the suggestion of dumping a bottle of seafoam in with the hydraulic fluid, run it for a little while, drain fluid, and refill with new. If you feel like your screen was clean enough then I wouldn't think that is the issue but that was the issue on mine.

davidblackburn1
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by davidblackburn1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:03 am

Thank you everyone for the information and advice.

Yesterday we were able to determine that the roll pin had fallen out and that the spline collar had moved over to the PTO side of the dozer and was no longer engaged with the winch. Using a tool to rotate the winch side allowed us line up the splines and put in a new pin.

The winch has new oil (which it desperately needed), a new filter, cleaned pick up screen and a new pin in the spline collar. Again thank you.

davidblackburn1
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by davidblackburn1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:28 pm

Here are pictures of the semi cleaned pick up tube (we were able to get it fully cleaned. Also, pictured is the hydraulic pump for the winch with the bottom right plate off after draining all of the oil out of the winch.

Last edited by davidblackburn1 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidblackburn1
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by davidblackburn1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Here is the PTO to winch coupling. You can see that the coupling is only on the PTO side of the machine. We were able to use a pry bar in the rollpin hole to get the two shafts to line up. We than put in a pin and the winch was back in business.

davidblackburn1
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by davidblackburn1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:02 pm

The oil fill hole is not easy to get to with the Logging arch attached to the winch. We wound up getting it out with a set of flat nose pliers, pointed down vertical, open the handles and twisted. The plug came out easily (no screw driver and hammer needed on this unit)
Here is the service manual image

The next image is the parts manual explosion for the hydraulic oil pick up tube for the winch (which needs replacing for some people). Ours was just dirty and could be cleaned.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:05 pm

Thank you for the follow up

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by NWJD fan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:37 pm

A medium size water pump plier works well for removing barrel bungs if you don't have a bung wrench. The upper jaw can often be hooked into bung enough to catch and then the handle provides good leverage to turn it out. Does not work on bungs with square drive

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:06 am

Good to hear you found the drive problem and it was a simple fix. With the maintenance of the hydraulic sump you should be in good shape for a while.
Jim