Looking to buy a 350B

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Coyote
MC crawler
MC crawler

Looking to buy a 350B

Post by Coyote » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:46 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum (first post) and I am new to machines with tracks lol. I am interested in a 350B that is for sale on Purplewave (link at end of post), the seller is a bank, they said this was part of a estate. They know absolutely nothing about it and told me that it's being sold for parts. From the pictures it looks like the dash is pulled off, not sure what else has been removed. I haven't looked at it yet (it's a hour and a half away) but I will probably go look at it in the next few days. I know these machines had problems with the bolts coming loose on the transmission/rear end which can cause major issues. I also did a lot of research on how to inspect the undercarriage and etc. Anyone know what should check?. I have a lot of experience with older tractors and I have quite a bit of experience working working on equipment so I'm not really worried if I have to put some work into it.

I already have a John Deere 410 Loader Backhoe and this track loader would be perfect working along side it.

One of my biggest concerns is loading, the bank that has it told me that there is no one to load, I have a triple axle 24' 5th wheel trailer but I do not have a winch. I saw where this loader weighs around 10k lbs so my trailer shouldn't have any trouble. I don't know how well these tracks roll? I am also assuming that the tracks aren't rusted up and stuck. Being it is in a shed I have high hopes of it not being rusted up.

Thanks for any help!

Link to the Purplewave auction https://www.purplewave.com/auction/2007 ... der-Kansas

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking to buy a 350B

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:53 am

Without some concrete information as to what is wrong or not wrong with it, it's already at what I would pay for it.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:11 am

I agree with Lavoy it's higher than I would pay for it now. It has all sorts of issues going on, things I see right off the bat:

1) It has dozer tracks on it or at least pads, either way this is not a good situation.
2) The fuel filters are off of it
3) The were working on the hydraulic spool valve as the side cover is off
4) The bucket teeth are literally worn plum off, I think its down to the adapters and they look ruined.
5) Why is the dash out? Electrical issues?
6) Getting that thing loaded on a high trailer like a 5th wheel dead without a winch...O my...

Honestly I'd keep looking and pay a little more for something else. I paid 6k dollars for mine and it ran, drove, worked and had about 60% tracks left.It had some issues but nothing like what you're looking at. I think this machine has had a very hard life, just my opinion though. Welcome to the crawler life, we're all a little bit crazy but it sure is great hobby.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Coyote
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Coyote » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:41 am

Ok thanks everyone for the info and heads up!
I saw it had the dozer style pads, just curious on why that's a problem?

In my area these machines are terribly expensive, there are a few around for 6k but they have pretty major issues. I am actually wanting a machine to buy, fix up, use it for a few projects and then resell it.

Thanks again for the info

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:53 am

Loaders by nature are turning and loading so they have the shorter pads to put less stress on the steering/undercarriage. Imagine having 4,000 pounds of load in your bucket turning hard and having to slip those tall grousers across the ground. Having the tall pads (while some do it) is not really recommended for the loaders.

It took me over 6 months of looking to find mine, they pop up you just have to be patient. Where are you located btw? That machine was maybe 3.5 hours west of me (Southwest MO). I can certainly keep my eyes peeled down here.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:35 am

I'm with everyone else on this thing. It is basically a scrap iron price machine given what I see in the photos. I will say that it would probably make a good builder since it looks like it is still original and hasn't had a lot of things changed on it since it was built. In other words it hasn't been hacked. Thats about as good as it gets however.
The fact that a lot of it has been taken apart tells me that something is wrong. The ROPS being off, the bucket being propped up, hydraulics looks to be having issues, fuel filters missing, dash panel is completely out along with all of the other machine panels that have been removed. This all tells me that something, maybe even several things is definitely going on. The bucket is definitely worn badly. It has done more back dragging than it has been pushed forward. Probably why the teeth shanks are all that is left. We called that "Pussying". (Sorry Lavoy) I like 77Fords summation in that you can buy a machine that is in better shape, running and ready to go. This will be a winch on machine for sure. I seriously doubt you will make it run and it move without some serious work beforehand.
To make it right, this thing will need to be gutted and rebuilt from scratch.The track pads don't bother me and I've yet to understand why people think you can't put dozer pads on a loader. Other than the fact they will tear up more ground than the street pads will. These are street pads that have had grouser bar welded onto them.
Undercarriage is a costly issue with any crawler. This appears to be about half or less. The pads are okay but the upper rollers are junk and I would say the lower rollers are probably not much either. It appears the sprockets are still okay as are the front idlers. The rails or chains are average at best. I can't see the pins and bushings but from the looks of the rest of the system I would say they are no better than half or fifty percent. You do still have some travel for the adjustment as you can see you still have a couple of inches in front of the idlers. But, by the time you jack them out to get them properly adjusted you will loose some of that.
My opinion is if you want a builder machine then go for it. Just remember you are already at a rebuilders price. But if you want something to run and go I would do as 77Ford recommends. This machine, if you can make it run will make you spend a week working on it just so you can run it for an hour or two. Then you will be back fixing the next things that shows up.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Coyote
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Coyote » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:15 am

OK thanks again for the heads up and all the great info!.
Anyone know where I can find the measurements for the rollers, chain and etc so I can measure these and get a idea on the amount of wear. I'll probably go look at it for the why not of it, I have nothing else going on and I always really enjoy looking at machinery.
Thanks again for the help!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:21 am

The measurements you are looking for should be in the JD 350B Technical/Service Manual or an undercarriage reference book. The best I have found on line so far is this chart (from Crawler Heaven which is gone now) giving measurements for some chains, nothing on rollers, idlers, etc. that I have seen. https://sites.google.com/site/crawlerhe ... ndbushings. Perhaps someone will post more info for you from a manual. I don't see how you are going to be able to properly measure the internal chain wear and get a meaningful result. The chains have to be stretched tight to make that measurement. This is often done by putting a large pin in a sprocket cup and backing up to make the track real tight. It is going to be hard to measure up a dead machine.

Stan Disbrow posted an undercarriage guide on the FAQ board viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10123. It is a DRESSER document but it is good info that relates to almost every undercarriage. If you are not familiar with undercarriage it is a good read and will give you pointers on what to look for.

Here is a running one that appeared on Craigslist the other day. https://maine.craigslist.org/hvo/d/acto ... 79930.html. There are things about it that are rougher than the one you are looking at, but this one runs so at least it can be better checked out, some defects are noted and is only $200 more than the current next bid in the auction. I'm with the others on this, as it sets the value has more than capped out to me. You have to decide how big a risk you want to undertake is, on the size of the repair project this might end up being.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:46 am

Given what you said about wanting to buy, fix up, and resell, I have a question or two. Are you looking at buying that crawler for say $3000, putting at minimum $5000 in parts in it plus you labor, and then sell it for a profit? What if the reverser is out, isolator bad, trans bad, then add another $3000 or more to my figures. So, lets say for the sake of argument that you find it needs a big dollar part like I mentioned that you can't know as it is dead. What did you save over a $6000 crawler that you can run and drive and get an idea of what it might need in the way of repairs?
ALWAYS assume worst case scenario as far as repair cost when fixing up a dead crawler, and in my experience, you will normally be only 20-30% more than that figure again when you are done.
Unless you have that much cash around to gamble, or a project to do that will greatly exceed any possible cost of the crawler you are buying, hire it done, get a part time job for the hours you will spend on the repair and the job itself, and you will probably break even.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Coyote
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Coyote » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Thanks for all the links and the great info.
I have been pricing dozers and track loaders in my area, they are all a easy 10k and the ones needing either clutches or the reverse is out or they have worn out under carriage go for around 6k.

What do you guys spend on your track loaders?
I have noticed that machinery tends to run higher here in Kansas compared to the surrounding states

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:54 pm

The undercarriage looks good to me based on the position of the idler. The undercarriage is most likely worth more than the current price. Has anyone priced out idlers lately? So if a guy wanted a 350, this would be a good parts machine to have on hand.

These are loader pads with growers added on. I’d have those cut off in half a day with my plasma cutter.

It’s likely there is one problem with this machine or possibly nothing other than someone was freshing it up. Worst case scenario you find something major wrong once you get it home. You can always assemble it and take to a Ritchie auction and recover your funds.

I can’t find any machines to fix in my area. About to build a 350C dozer starting with a transmission case and shafts we just got in from a local parts dealers dispersal sale
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:25 am

Hi,

That is when you know you are a *serious* crawler person! You build your own! I like it! Starting with a transmission case. Indeed. Just like the Deere factory. :)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:37 am

We shut down our utility construction business 4 years ago when my dad turned 70 and this keeps him busy in the shop. I only get out there 1 day a week now. We have lots of parts left over from machines we wrecked to rebuild our working machines. We have been consistently fixing, rebuilding and selling a crawler per month for the past 4 years. Getting short of dozers to fix so really having to work to find more machines to wreck or rebuild.

So when I see anything I can use I jump on it (in Alberta Canada that is). I have travelled to Montana and Washington for parts and machines in the past and getting rigged up with a tandem dually gooseneck with hydraulic winch behind a Ram 3500 so I can scavenge more machines.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors