450 E

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

450 E

Post by timmtnman » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:25 pm

Where are the serial numbers located at on these dozers. Only has a stock number. Going to look at one to purchase this weekend. Wanted to know what to look for on this style. Pictures I got looks like a pretty nice machine. Man is retiring and selling all his equipment. What are these machines selling for. Can a winch be installed also. Thanks for the help

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450 E

Post by Jim B » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:06 pm

The PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION NUMBER PLATE (serial number tag) is located on the front plate of the battery box. When you mount the dozer from the left side it is right there on the panel, you will likely be looking right at it as you approach on the ground. Here is the info on the three tags on the machine. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc-ser ... cale=en-US

With the proper power shaft and mounting brackets the 3325 winch was the common one used on them.

I have seen them advertised as low as 7500 and as high as 25,000; condition and location make it had to say with no hard info. You should at least measure the chains for internal wear and look the undercarriage over good. They have the same issues as most with the HLR transmissions might have, and not all have isues. Beyond that nothing really stands out to me.

I should have added, you should ask if he has the manuals for it. If you were to get printed copies of the Repair Manual and the Operation and Testing Manuela from JD you are looking at about $360. With the Operator's Manual you will be over $400. Then if you want a copy of the parts catalog it is about $85. It is worth asking if he has them to go with the sale, if you are going to buy it.

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:10 pm

Thanks Jim, I will ask if he has the manual's. He said it needed pins and bushings. What is the average cost of having those put in. That will help me decide on the price I'm willing to pay.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:25 pm

If the rail height (90mm new, 82.8mm is 100% worn by the manual) and condition is acceptable; you would have to find a shop that will do pins and bushings and get a real price, they are getting few and far between for that size (small) chains. Labor costs are high and pins and bushings aren't as common as they were years ago compared to the prices of aftermarket chains available now. The price of replacing pins and bushings I would expect to equal or may exceed the new chains. You might as well just look at the prices of a new set chains and pad bolts (Pads as well, if the grousers are worn down) as those chains are common and there are many chain suppliers out there. Take a look on eBay for ideas of prices. You will need to decide on dry/greased or SALT chains (Sealed And Lubricated Track). With SALT track you get the segmented master links that bolt together, no master pin to deal with. New chains likely will want new sprockets and you need to check rollers and idlers, rebuild adjusters while the tracks are off. That's my thoughts for what they are worth.

Lavoy might sell them or have a source he recommends. Many dealers pull from warehouses located around the country so shipping may not be much of an issue, if at all.

Mikeforester
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mikeforester » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:35 am

Hi,
Check the area where the frame bolts to the final drives. I looked at a few that had cracks and/or repairs done there. We've had good luck with our 450E and outside of fixing the water pump we have not had any major repairs. Good luck!
Mike

timmtnman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by timmtnman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:33 pm

Thanks for the advice. Went and looked at it today. He had put a six way blade on it. Had 18 inch pads which he cut 2 inches off on the inside cause they where close to the cylinders. Rails and sprockets where both wore out and one top roller too. Ran and steered really good. He only come down a couple thousand from his price for the UC being bad. What size tracks are normally on one with a six way blade. And what would make the paint all cracked up on it. Never seen paint like that before.

Mikeforester
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Mikeforester » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:31 pm

Hi,
Our dozer has 16" pads on it. Cut down pads and owner swapped 6 way blade are not encouraging signs. Figure a minimum of $6k for undercarriage repairs/parts replacement if the chains, pads, rollers and idlers need work and can be saved or rebuilt. $10k for a complete new undercarrige installed. Undercarriages generally wear out uniformly with normal use and I've never seen a dozer that just "needs pins and bushings turned" without other items needing replacement. Price and condition are everything with these old machines and repairs can get expensive really fast for a marginal tractor. Paint sounds like current/previous owner job with poor prep work and paint application.
Mike