455E Hydraulic Pump Leak

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
fordomatic69
MC crawler
MC crawler

455E Hydraulic Pump Leak

Post by fordomatic69 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:58 pm

Hello,
I have a small leak in the hydraulic pump (under the radiator). It's a 1986 455e Crawler/Loader. I had a guy crawl underneath the front and tell me that the bolts were lose but there is no way to get a wrench or socket on some of them without removing the hard nose, or is it easier to remove the pump instead? I see 8 bolts (4 for each hydraulic line), then 2 big mounting bolts holding the pump to the frame. Is this correct or can anyone point me in the correct direction? I am still waiting for my hard copy manuals to arrive (I should have ordered the electronic copy).

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 455E Hydraulic Pump Leak

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:24 pm

From working on my 450E, I think there is a much simpler way than removing the hardnose. After lifting the loader up and installing the safety locking bar so it won't come down, remove the grille. At the bottom of the radiator is a baffle plate held in by a couple capscrews in the edge near the grille. With that baffle of you should be looking right at the pump and lines in question. I would suggest changing the O-rings in those flange fittings if the bolts have loosened. Hopefully the mating surfaces on your pump aren't damaged from the fittings being loose. Here is what my 450E manual shows for removing the pump, which includes the instructions of how to access it. 450E is the dozer version of the 455E and the components in this area are similar.

fordomatic69
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by fordomatic69 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:59 pm

Thanks so much for the info. One last question, is there a drain plug on the Hydraulic reservoir? I looked up the parts diagram but cannot see a drain of any kind.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... gId/159972

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:41 am

#9, which the catalog calls hose fitting, is a plug. If your machine still has the cover panel across the back (right under the fuel tank protecting that area), remove it to see the plug. The plug should be in the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir, just inside the reservoir support steel, and just inside the back panel you removed.