I might have a hydraulic pump leak also?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

I might have a hydraulic pump leak also?

Post by 8thnotch » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:43 pm

Was working machine 450c Seen bucket
Had a few wet spots on back of it thought maybe it was water from tree I pushed over. stopped and noticed grill was all wet and bottom of rad wet with hydraulic oil, fan is pulling air in so it would have to be a fine spray to be hitting a few spots on back of bucket . Pulled grill off and ran machine cannot find leak . Probably only evident when working the hydraulics? Any ideas ? Thank you .

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: I might have a hydraulic pump leak also?

Post by Jim B » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:01 am

A blower fan would push oil towards the bucket, suction should be moving it towards the engine compartment. To me if the leak was on the loader the oil would be more all over, if the fan was pulling it in from the loader/bucket. You say " grill was all wet and bottom of rad wet with hydraulic oil". I would concentrate on that area. A few things that could mean are: a leak in a hose or fitting in that area, a leak in the oil cooler, the spin on filter is loose or leaking, or the pump is leaking. You may need to wash it all down and start fresh to closer pinpoint the problem. If there is a cover plate at the bottom of the radiator, over the pump, on yours remove that when checking. You likely will need someone to work the controls while you look. Be sure to use the safety support, or other method to prevent the loader from coming down on you, when ever you are working anywhere under the loader arms, even checking for the leak.

Don't feel for the leak with your hands when the system active. High pressure oil can get injected under the skin and be very serious, or fatal.

8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 8thnotch » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:33 pm

I did all the above yes fan blade is the winter fan fluid was on front of grill an back of bucket an bottom of rad don’t see any cylinder leaks seems it only happened while working it pressure washed everything down changed fan blade to summer fan but not positive where leak is or what orientation fan blade goes ? Seems like a dumb question but fan isn’t marked front or back I installed it so the flattened parts of the rivets face block of engine one side of fan had a indentation ,other side is flat face it is blowing air out the rad but doesn’t seem right to me , hopefully I get a service manual soon .

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:32 pm

Do you have two different fans or one of the aftermarket ones you turn the blades on? You can't just turn a solid blade fan over to change it from pusher/blower to suction, the blades are shaped differently. Here are a couple photos which should help you if you are dealing with solid blade fans.

Pusher fan on a 450E.

Suction fan on a 2030 (a dozer will be the same blade orientation).

8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 8thnotch » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:45 pm

Thank u for the pics I have two solid fan blades winter puller blade was on it I put the pusher one on it but looks like I might have it wrong orientation looking at your picture looked good until I started machine and noticed the prick spins counter clockwise lol I wouldn’t have thought motor spun counterclockwise ! Learn something new every day

8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 8thnotch » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:47 pm

Thank u for the pics I have two solid fan blades winter puller blade was on it I put the pusher one on it but looks like I might have it wrong orientation looking at your picture looked good until I started machine and noticed the prick spins counter clockwise lol I wouldn’t have thought motor spun counterclockwise ! Learn something new every day

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:24 am

Depends which way you are looking at it. John Deere says normal crankshaft rotation is counterclockwise, Facing flywheel looking towards the water pump.

8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 8thnotch » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:42 am

Thank you for all your help Jim B have two more questions I will post.