Oil leak 450C

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Oil leak 450C

Post by 8thnotch » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:52 am

Trying to iron out the leaks , pressure washed and steamed machine there’s one oil leak at back of block , I thought it was a rubber fuel line that was leaking changed it out but after cleaning block there’s oil seeping up I can see it bubbling between block and where transmission bolts to block along the top seam of the two it’s there every time I wipe it and run machine not lots ambit enough to make a mess after some time I thought it could also be from where the tach cable comes up from its housing but it’s not . And my second question is what’s the proper way to shift machine from one gear to the next say going from 1 to 2 sometimes I can stop and shift it to two I use the clutch stop it with the brake and shift it to 2 won’t shift on the fly and a lot of times I have to shut machine down than shift to whatever gear than start it and go otherwise it will just grind gears trying to shift it ? Thanks for the help fella’s ..

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Oil leak 450C

Post by Jim B » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:48 am

The HLR has hydraulic applied clutches it can be shifted "on the fly" without the clutch. The 1-4 transmission is a mechanical gear box. You need to use the clutch, stop the crawler's movement, and wait for the gears to stop, before changing the gears in it.

Linkages may be out of adjustment or worn which could add to your issues. If you don't have the Operator's Manual and Technical (service) Manual for your machine you need to get them so you have the proper information to check and adjust things. Contact Lavoy (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com), I believe has them in his store or can get them. If he can't help, post back.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:05 am

I think sometimes when you have to shut them down to change between 1 - 4 it's a main engine clutch issue, it's not disengaging all the way.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

8thnotch
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 8thnotch » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:17 pm

Is the clutch pedal serve two functions push it in a inch or so an it disengages power when in gear. Then push it in harder and it’s mechanical for shifting through gears ? Seems I could push it further if I wanted too but with resistance.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:45 pm

Yes it works a clutch valve and the engine clutch. Push it all the way down to shift the transmission. You should still run all the adjustments.