450c steering clutch fluid check

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jeffrey D
MC crawler
MC crawler

450c steering clutch fluid check

Post by Jeffrey D » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:14 pm

I’m in need of some help. How can I check the steering clutch housing fluid can’t find anything in the service manual but the amount and where to fill and drain.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 450c steering clutch fluid check

Post by B Town » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Hello Jeffrey D,

Do you know if your machine has a “common sump”? If it does, there is no need to check the individual R and L steering clutch housings. The trans, R and L sumps can be common in the “C” series. The fluid is checked with the dipstick under the operator seat. Are you certain this is a “C” series? Can you post your SN?

Best regards, Bruce

Jeffrey D
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Jeffrey D » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:37 pm

It’s at the ranch and next time I go out I will get the Serial number. It says 450c on the side. And I have the original manuals that say 450c. I found the drain plugs. And the fill plugs on the side. So I was assuming it was not a common sump but that would explain why there is nothing in the manual about checking it.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:46 pm

All C series have the fill plug(s) in the steering case. Crawlers converted to common sumps or born common sumps have thread locker on those plugs. The use of the plugs is abandoned, as the common sump fluid level is higher than those plugs. And the fluid level is followed by the dipstick.

Jeffrey D
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Jeffrey D » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:54 pm

So I got the serial #450CA 261029T if that helps. So does that mean it a 1976 model? And probably separate sumps. So where is the Level check plug all I can find is a drain and fill plug should it be level with the fill plug?

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:01 am

Yes, just missed 1977 by a few.

The fill plug for the steering housings is also the full site; if the crawler is not a common sump.

I don’t know the SN when common sumps were born; I’m not sure anyone knows. And there are some crawlers that have been converted to common sump. One way to confirm or deny would be to drain the cavities one at a time and measure the volumes.

One other way I can think of would be to check the trans dipstick under the seat. If needing fluid, bring to full. Then open the fill plug on one of the steering clutch housings. If the fluid is at or below the plug hole, probably not a common sump. If fluid pours out, it is either a common sump or the steering case has been grossly overfilled.

HTH,

Bruce

Jeffrey D
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Jeffrey D » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:47 pm

Thanks for the info.